Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A direct connection to the streetcar station would also be nice, from a pedestrian and dirver safety point of view. Somehting wheelchair accessible too given there is a requirement to make it so if there is new construction or substantial reno.

What would make my day is actually a two level terminal with Ward and Hanlon connecting to the upper deck of the ferries via a fixed bridge from the upper level of that terminal. Then the Centre Island traffic would remain on the lower level.

I hope they also have something in the design that allows for better offloading of passengers when they arrive back in the city. Anything that would reduce congestion in the building design would allow for quicker turnaround and more trips.

The Ward's and Hanlan's ferries are often smaller, single deck ferries due to their smaller crowds - Island residents often bring bike trailers and carts across as well - the smaller car ferry type vessels are better suited for those runs, while the iconic double-deck ferries are most appropriate on the Centre Island trips.

I'd too like a Ferry Terminal that sticks out. For as great as an asset Toronto's Island ferries are, the terminal is really unremarkable and tucked away. Almost looks like a loading dock.

And this is from someone who likes good Brutalism.

Update from the June WT Board Meeting CEO Report:

Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Design Competition
Waterfront Toronto, working with Parks Forestry and Recreation staff and Councilor McConnell’s office has been preparing the competition brief for the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park Innovative Design Competition. The
Pre-qualification document will be issued at the end of July, 2014, with shortlisted candidates selected by the end of September 2014. The brief will be presented to the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Working Group on June 13th.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/ceo_report___public_1.pdf (p. 9)

AoD

We took our first visit to the islands over the holiday weekend, and while the islands were great (except for the piece of shit vending machine near Mermaid Cafe that stole my $3.70), the terminal made us feel like we stepped back in time to the 1970s. The bathrooms were absolutely disgraceful; couldn't tell if I was in a world-class city or preparing to use the squat-toilet facilities in rural China, or perhaps the Cabrini-Green bathroom made famous in "Candyman". Jeezus.

Candyman-3.jpg

The comparison of the waiting area to a refugee holding pen is apt. I would be horrified to bring my visiting guests to such a neglected shambles, and fail to understand the obvious apathy TO has shown towards its waterfront (not to mention infrastructure in general). I know it's changing for the better, but maybe my expectations for something "half-decent" were too high. Looking forward to the new terminal, if it ever actually gets built. One more thing to wait for that should have been done years ago.

Attachments

• Candyman-3.jpg
    Candyman-3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,048
I hope the $11,000 umbrella thing doesn't discourage WT from doing something ambitious. This is the EXACT sort of project (location, use etc) that is ripe for an iconic piece of architecture.

One can only envision Australian versions of DMW and the Fords railing against the approval of the Sydney Opera House in the 1950s.

Last edited:
I hope they make it look really good too. Something equipped for the lines, so people aren't out in the street, and with sun/weather protection.

Personally, I'd love to see a tramway. Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

Yes, it definitely needs some kind of protection from the weather. I wish they could build 2 different terminals, one for Centre Island and one for the other two landings. The lineups for Centre Island are just too long for me, so I'd avoid them by going to Ward's Island and just walking to Centre Island. I don't mind walking but my back can't take standing for extended periods.

The terminal we have now is a disgrace. I would not want my name on that ugly chunk of concrete.

I hope the $11,000 umbrella thing doesn't discourage WT from doing something ambitious. This is the EXACT sort of project (location, use etc) that is ripe for an iconic piece of architecture.

Given that the rest of the Ford-appointed, ultra-conservative, exclusively-suburban executive committee was supportive of Sugar Beach and Waterfront Toronto, I'm hopeful about the future.

The comparison of the waiting area to a refugee holding pen is apt. I would be horrified to bring my visiting guests to such a neglected shambles, and fail to understand the obvious apathy TO has shown towards its waterfront (not to mention infrastructure in general). I know it's changing for the better, but maybe my expectations for something "half-decent" were too high. Looking forward to the new terminal, if it ever actually gets built. One more thing to wait for that should have been done years ago.

I've had family over from Ireland the last few weeks - and they described the waiting area pretty much like this except they called it a cattle pen. They loved the islands themselves - in fact they spent a number of days over there - it was the waiting in the terminals that they didn't enjoy.

TBH, I like the ferry terminals on both sides. There is something about the brutalist concrete that says "Ontario outdoors" and "hopeful future" - maybe because I am a child of the seventies, and so much of my childhood was spent around concrete buildings amid green space. I agree that the traffic flow inside and outside the ferry terminal is abysmal - getting around the Centre Island line to get to the Hanlan's line is awful, and so are the line-ups for tickets - but the actual waiting area feels more summery and relaxed than a comparable "efficient" ferry dock. This isn't, after all, a commuter terminal, but a pleasure terminal. I don't think we should have something like a closed-in terminal here - it should be open and airy. It should make us feel like we have already left the city behind.

When I was down there two weeks ago a Centre Island ferry was unloading just as we were entering the area to get to Harbour Square Park to walk along the boardwalk, took us ten minutes to get through the crowds. Park of the plan needs to incorporate an alternative exit, like alongside the east side of the Harbour Castle Hilton, as unattractive as it may be.

When I was down there two weeks ago a Centre Island ferry was unloading just as we were entering the area to get to Harbour Square Park to walk along the boardwalk, took us ten minutes to get through the crowds. Park of the plan needs to incorporate an alternative exit, like alongside the east side of the Harbour Castle Hilton, as unattractive as it may be.
They do let people exit on that side as well.

Back