Toronto INDX Condos | 178.6m | 54s | Lifetime | P + S / IBI

Stinson originally wanted a building of more than 80 storeys on the site, but Blutrich says it will likely end up 60 to 62 storeys high.

Will that many storeys fit into the allowable envelope? I assume that either the building will be allowed to be somewhat taller in exchange for it being thinner than the Sapphire design, or the floor-to-floor height will be less than with Sapphire.

Bill

Will that many storeys fit into the allowable envelope? I assume that either the building will be allowed to be somewhat taller in exchange for it being thinner than the Sapphire design, or the floor-to-floor height will be less than with Sapphire.

Bill
How many storeys was the shorter Sapphire tower? I highly doubt the city would allow more height even if it's narrower - a shadow is a shadow regardless of its width.

How many storeys was the shorter Sapphire tower? I highly doubt the city would allow more height even if it's narrower - a shadow is a shadow regardless of its width.

Huh. According to Emporis, the final Stinson design was in fact 62 storeys.

I strongly believe that some of the difficulties Stinson had in gaining approvals at the city was due in part to lack of expertise/professionalism and I believe that city was uncomfortable with quality issues of a landmark tower that would be Toronto's tallest built by Stinson - they gave him a very hard time due in part to his track record. A more reputable developer may have not had the difficulties Stinson had.

The final incarnation of Sapphire (terraced pyramid form at the top) resolved most of the shadow issues and would have had real promise if a competent developer was steering the ship.

I suspect Cassius would have been deserving of some kind of design credit to boot....

I strongly believe that some of the difficulties Stinson had in gaining approvals at the city was due in part to lack of expertise/professionalism and I believe that city was uncomfortable with quality issues of a landmark tower that would be Toronto's tallest built by Stinson - they gave him a very hard time due in part to his track record. A more reputable developer may have not had the difficulties Stinson had.

I'm loathe to defend HS but to his credit he got 1KW built (with the help of a very prominent local citizen of course) and Skyline got the Cosmopolitan hotel built. On balance, I believe that IKW is a far more impressive architectural and engineering accomplishment.

"It's a landmark site and I'd be interested to know what the city wants," the developer said. "At this point, we are very open-minded about what can go there. But certainly, it will be an extraordinary and unique project."

This is exactly how they will get the extra height they may need to make a profit at this location. Harry shot himself in the foot with his first few Sapphire designs, which you could tell the city never liked. Even at what I think was his first public meeting of the Sapphire (ball point) tower you could kind of tell that local wheelers and dealers were not amused. I recall people representing Trump as well as Bay and Adelaide Centre that were present who right after Harry's presentation went straight over to the city councilors with what I recall as unkind comments about the design. Harry was busy showing 1 King West owners his scale model while he ignored the people he should have been paying the most attention to.

Also, I know this location is close to so many things but it just doesn't feel like it can pull off residential, at least not a full on residential tower. The only way I can see a residential element if it's on the top 20 or so floors so at least the occupants will have a view in some directions. Really this site is best suited for office and/or hotel.

Actually, I was working at a councillor's office and was with the councillor as he voted against the ball-top Sapphire building. The councillors all thought the building was "quite pretty" (thanks to a certain forumer's renderings!) but it was the shadowing of NPS that singlehandedly killed it.

Wow, so if it had a chance of making it through city hall it would have been Cassius's fault ;)

Haha...true! Seriously, though, no matter how pretty they thought the building was, there was no way it was getting through with those shadow impacts.

I liked it to, but it fought in style against the rest of the skyline. Maybe it would work well in a city other then Toronto. Here's hoping the city and developer can come up with something that will complement the surrounding area.

Ha ha no. I mean something more Chicago refined as opposed to something that belongs in Dubai or Shanghai.

Back