511     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto In Art

In fact, perhaps there's a sub-genre of "People Watching Fires" paintings:

1890:

ucfire.jpg

hornyansky.jpg

Nicholas Hornyansky, Snowbound Downtown. 1938. Colour Aquatint. Old Toronto Skyline: the view looks s.w. from n. of St. Michael's Cathedral. In 1938 our skyline is dominated by the old Canadian Bank of Commerce or Commerce Court--built in 1930 it remained the tallest building in the British Empire until 1962 -- and to its right, the Royal York Hotel. To the left of Commerce Court I don't know. Any help with these buildings would be much appreciated, Cheers.

Attachments

• hornyansky.jpg
    hornyansky.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,058
Last edited:
Albert Franck--Keeper of the Lanes

franck.jpg

Behind Grange Road, 1967 w/c

francksmall.jpg

Isabella Street, 1961 w/c

Attachments

• franck.jpg
    franck.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3,402
  • francksmall.jpg
    francksmall.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,996
bfmsmall.jpg

Bernice Fenwick Martin. Lambton Market Garden Farm. C 1930s.
Lambton—by the Humber River and the intersections of Scarlett, St. Clair and Dundas--was known for its market garden farms as late as the 1950s, since replaced by Lambton golf course, riverside parkland and residential neighbourhoods.

Attachments

• bfmsmall.jpg
    bfmsmall.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,769
Many years ago there was an exhibit at the Market Gallery of paintings by Vernon Mould, which included several Toronto street scenes from the 1940s and 1950s. I can't recall any of the other images. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of Mould's paintings turn up anywhere since then. Does anyone know of any ?

Back