Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I was under the impression that all trains were going to take the loop....effectively creating two lines (north of Sq1 and south of Sq1) and passengers going straight through would transfer trains in the loop.....did I get that wrong or has it changed?

I don't think that was actually decided was it? I remember that being an option. The other did feature trains going straight through. Not sure if there's any final decision regardless at this point

I believe that was considered as an option. Ultimately, a seamless trip from Port Credit to Brampton was deemed to be more convenient than an unnecessary transfer, as mentioned above 1 "express" train bypassing square entirely therefore saving time, and 1 train taking the loop.

They should just forego the straight up Hurontario line alignment and make all trains do the loop. Robert Speck can be skipped, a station at Kariya Gt/City Centre Dr would be close enough.

They should just forego the straight up Hurontario line alignment and make all trains do the loop. Robert Speck can be skipped, a station at Kariya Gt/City Centre Dr would be close enough.
Yea Right!!

Waste Riders Time from 10-15 minutes who want to bypass the square in the first like the 15 minutes the current 19 does today.

The 103 sees peak loads at different times during the peak and see crush loads at peak time bypassing CCTT

One reason a new terminal should be where the plaza is now.

That problem exists today....try transferring from southbound ZUM to the express Miway.

The unfortunate reality is, the current bus hub was built in the wrong spot. It should be adjacent to the main thoroughfare.

The money spent on laying track through the loop would be better spent moving the buses over to Hurontario.

- Paul

Almost all the buses at CCTT already cross Hurontario directly. There is zero point in either moving the main bus terminal or diverting the LRT off of Hurontario. The bus riders will still be able to transfer to the LRT regardless.

I guess you forgot all about the common stops the 103 and 502 share between Brampton Gateway and Eglinton Avenue?

Didn't forget....just didn't look at the map. Assumed that all buses use the Terminal and it would be the obvious transfer point.

A pretty reasonable assumption for a non-regular rider, I would argue.....when is a Transit Hub not a Transit Hub?

- Paul

The Terminal was built primarily for the BRT. It has nothing to do with Hurontario. The only terminal routes that don't intersect with Hurontario Street are 6, 9, 61, which can easily be extended to connect to LRT if needed.

The BRT also intersects with Hurontario. They need just need to add another station and design the LRT in a way that allows for the connection.

As for the idea that riders wouldn't realize that they can get off a bus or on a bus outside of a terminal, I think you underestimate riders a bit there.

The terminal is operating way beyond its capacity anyways. To build LRT to connect to it just wouldn't work. And as I said it is not necessary in the first place.

That problem exists today....try transferring from southbound ZUM to the express Miway.

The unfortunate reality is, the current bus hub was built in the wrong spot. It should be adjacent to the main thoroughfare.

The money spent on laying track through the loop would be better spent moving the buses over to Hurontario.

- Paul
Gee!!! I guess Eglinton is not a good transfer point let alone the other stops Zum stops at that happen to be 103 stops as well??

Come April, there will be a grid system in place that doesn't exist today and will see the removal of 8, 65, 67, 26, 91 and 34 from CCTT 100%. This means the transit terminal will see less routes and more service on some of the existing one. 7 & 21 will be removed in 2017.

Staff did say today at the budget meeting it $19 million short in expanding or building a new one since the existing one is over capacity.

I called for a new hub that will house everything under one roof including GO with development on top of it. It would have provision for a GO train to service it underground as well future LRT/Subway. I have been calling for one since 2004 since its in the wrong location, but most of all, it was out dated before it was built in the 90's.
http://transiturban.ca/transit/ontario/miway/miwayreports/MiWay2016Budget.pptx

Come 2016, staff/city will present a budget to the councilors showing the extra cost and items that the city will have to pay for over the based cost of the line and be put into a contract with Metrolinx so it is in the RFP for 2017. $25 Million has been sit a side at this time for the extra cost at this time.

Last edited:
The Terminal was built primarily for the BRT. It has nothing to do with Hurontario. The only terminal routes that don't intersect with Hurontario Street are 6, 9, 61, which can easily be extended to connect to LRT if needed.

The BRT also intersects with Hurontario. They need just need to add another station and design the LRT in a way that allows for the connection.

As for the idea that riders wouldn't realize that they can get off a bus or on a bus outside of a terminal, I think you underestimate riders a bit there.

The terminal is operating way beyond its capacity anyways. To build LRT to connect to it just wouldn't work. And as I said it is not necessary in the first place.
You forgot route 28, 91 and 66

You forgot route 28, 91 and 66

28 connects at the Hospital. Or comes close enough anyways. It also connects at Cooksville GO. Besides it is a north-south route like Hurontario so connection is not important.

91 connects at Cooksville GO.

66 ok, it doesn't connect, but it is a north-south route, so it is not important. For the same reason, I'm not worried about 61 Mavis.

9 overlaps a lot with 20 along Rathburn and 20 intersects with Hurontario.

So that leaves route 6 is the only route we need to worry about for connecting to the LRT. Just ONE route. Should the LRT be diverted off Hurontario for ONE route?

28 connects at the Hospital. Or comes close enough anyways. It also connects at Cooksville GO. Besides it is a north-south route like Hurontario so connection is not important.

91 connects at Cooksville GO.

66 ok, it doesn't connect, but it is a north-south route, so it is not important. For the same reason, I'm not worried about 61 Mavis.

9 overlaps a lot with 20 along Rathburn and 20 intersects with Hurontario.

So that leaves route 6 is the only route we need to worry about for connecting to the LRT. Just ONE route. Should the LRT be diverted off Hurontario for ONE route?
You are saying the same thing I have being say from day one and no need for a loop.

If the new terminal is built where the plaza is, route 6, 9, 61, 66 and 107 will require bus bays there as well the GO Buses. The BRT routes as well 20 would remain on Rathburn with a walking transfer at City Centre. A walking transfer to the LRT at Sq One Dr.

I have call in the past that 6 only runs between Dundas and Burnhamthrope and loop by Central Parkway and Erindale Station Rd. 6 on Central Parkway would be replace by a new 38 that would run similar to the current route. It would continue east on Central Parkway to Bloor St and follow route 3 route to the subway. It becomes another gird route and allow people to by pass CCTT. It would save the Director of Transit 15 minutes plus travel time each way using this route and loves the idea, but staff is bulking at it.

Come April, 6 replace 91 off Central Parkway to the terminal and off Duke of York.

I even called for another 61 from Derry Rd to Dundas to the Clarkson GO Station.

The loop is meant to encourage and service future development around Square One. The alternative would be for people to take a bus and then transfer onto the LRT, or to walk straight to Hurontario. The convenience of being able to hop directly onto the LRT from where people are expected to live, work, shop etc. is too good to ignore. I personally wouldn't change a thing with regards to downtown alignment.

Hopefully they get the transit priority perfected so it's a very short diversion around the loop.

- Paul

Back