Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

^exactly ... I'm still traumatized from their first Ritz/Trump proposal *shudder*

Indeed the ho-hum skyline of NYCC could use a few standouts. At 538 feet it should do just that.

That would be so cool looking across the northern portion of the city. Now Yonge and Eglinton and NYCC would have their very own centerpiece towers over 500 feet.

Kirkor blamed their horrific first design for Trump on the clients: that's what the client wanted. Meanwhile, Kirkor's Waterclub, while too stumpy for many, is a rather well-liked disgn by many others. (Kirkor had designed it taller and more slender, but the city didn't want the height.)

These line drawings are quite promising: the project looks very urban, so I'm hoping that Kirkor hits a home run with this one. Other Toronto subway intersections should be so lucky: this is certainly much better than the now-abandoned design for Kolter's sw corner at Bloor and Yonge.

So long Dominion, you were better than Northtown...

And so long National Sports, I got my last pair of running shoes there for 50% off.

As for the parking lots on the immediate NW and SW corners, I'd rather see even 8 storey office/retail complexes than 30+ storey condos (both together...hmm...it depends). Maybe the NW (next to the bus terminal) could become a mini square? Maybe not, though...Yonge is wide enough that it isn't desperately needed now that there will be a "grand plaza" on the SE corner.

It should be quite the contrast between the ultra-70s Sheppard Centre to the north and the turn-of-the-90s Nestle and Proctor & Gamble buildings to the west and south, all of this surrounded by post-war bungalows and post-bungalow McMansions.

Does NYCC have a height limit? Everything these days seems to be 35 storeys. The extra 8 storeys may have a minimal impact on the skyline but infilling the Y & S node definitely will.

Poor west-facing Radiance buyers...lol.

It should be quite the contrast between the ultra-70s Sheppard Centre to the north and the turn-of-the-90s Nestle and Proctor & Gamble buildings to the west and south, all of this surrounded by post-war bungalows and post-bungalow McMansions.
What a great description of the area!

It should be quite the contrast between the ultra-70s Sheppard Centre
That's what I love about the building I live in: original signage, light fixtures and floor tiles (all in great shape) that are still used in many places.

"That's what I love about the building I live in: original signage, light fixtures and floor tiles (all in great shape) that are still used in many places."

Sheppard Centre's passageways + the brown floor tiles + the old Golden Griddle = some of my most potent childhood memories. I was totally shocked when I first saw Sheppard Centre after its big reno last decade, but all you have to do is step just beyond the mall's territory (into the subway or the apartment zones) and the 70s-ness hits you with a vengeance.

Best thing about Proctor & Gamble is the lobby--in a true programmatic-architecture spirit, it's insanely "Mr. Clean" clean...

1. I didnt know the p-g building was in NY, i bring this up because I live in Cincinnati (P&G HQ)

2. Is it just me, or is there no development in the actual CENTER of North York Centre? You see a cluster near sheppard-yonge and some near finch, but the ones in between are all very low.

ps. is it center or centre?

"Is it just me, or is there no development in the actual CENTER of North York Centre?"

not entirely - development is occuring in nodal pattern along the 401 to Finch corridor in which 'the centre' (meaning Mel Lastman Square and not the geographical which I have no idea where it would be) is one of the active nodes

"is it center or centre?"

its always centre

"Is it just me, or is there no development in the actual CENTER of North York Centre? You see a cluster near sheppard-yonge and some near finch, but the ones in between are all very low"

Not sure what you're talking about here...the area around and immediately south of Mel Lastman Square - the 'centre' of North York Centre - is probably the most intensely developed few blocks of land in the GTA outside of downtown (Square One et al might take this crown one day soon though, but NYCC could win it back if push comes to shove comes to NIMBY-defeating 50 storey condos). There's less development around Church[-ill] but it is filling in. Remember, all of this was bungalows and strip malls 30 years ago. You might be talking about Yonge & York Mills (there is a low-rise cluster) or Yonge & Lawrence, though, which aren't in North York Centre. Maybe you should link to a few google map sites of these "ones in between."

edit - and I assume Proctor & Gamble have their Canadian HQ up in NYCC.

its always centre

And "it's" used that way always has an apostrophe.
fight074.gif

didnt realize i was being graded - from now on i wont be so lazy

Back