Toronto Howard Park Residences | 24.99m | 8s | Triumph | RAW Design

What a wasted opportunity. This project reminds me of the L Tower; both great designs, ruined by cheap, unattractive materials (spandrel, window wall, ugly siding).

UD is right about the Vancouver/Seattle/Portland aesthetic. There are a lot of really nice buildings on the west coast that have similar cladding to this siding. I don't *love* it, but it isn't just cheap or crap or whatever anyone is saying. Typically on the west coast natural materials - especially wood but also, IMHO, unfortunately, stone - are used in conjunction with the siding. Wood usually contrasts well. Brick doesn't have quite the same effect. Often there are also coloured panels, or the siding is itself red or back, which this building is missing. Still, you can see that the adjacent building also has similar cladding (though it is green on the top) and it blends in well, creating a kind of industrial aesthetic that melds brick warehouse with contemporary postindustrial. I think it looks good.

I like it the form is interesting. The siding doesn't bother me at all it's different. Personally I'm sick of the brick panels they try to pass off on us. If it was actually laid brick, great, but those prefab brick panels are in my opinion cheap looking.

In general though I think it's looking good

UD is right about the Vancouver/Seattle/Portland aesthetic. There are a lot of really nice buildings on the west coast that have similar cladding to this siding. I don't *love* it, but it isn't just cheap or crap or whatever anyone is saying. Typically on the west coast natural materials - especially wood but also, IMHO, unfortunately, stone - are used in conjunction with the siding. Wood usually contrasts well. Brick doesn't have quite the same effect. Often there are also coloured panels, or the siding is itself red or back, which this building is missing. Still, you can see that the adjacent building also has similar cladding (though it is green on the top) and it blends in well, creating a kind of industrial aesthetic that melds brick warehouse with contemporary postindustrial. I think it looks good.

My understanding is that the zinc siding is not cheap - It's high quality. It looks a little bland at the moment with all the grey but I think it will look better once everything comes together.

The stepped roof is reminiscent of the Morneau Sobeco Centre Towers at 895 Don Mills Rd

MorneauSobecoProject.jpg

Photo: TOBuilt

The combination of brick, metal panels and frosted glass looks good. The grey panels and charcoal-purple bricks harmonize well, but there's also crisp contrast in the black window walls and white balcony undersides.

I love how they've combined a sawtooth facade with the straight lines in the balcony slabs to maintain the profile of traditional street wall. Usually, sawtooth facades fail to frame and define the public realm of the street satisfactorily, but this design is the best of both worlds. The building looked cheap when they started applying the grey panels, but it's turning out to be a sharp addition to the neighbourhood.

July 15
Corten seams to becoming a trend these days as it is showing up more than before.

Hydro was in the process of connecting the building to the city system.
19754965595_43e79caab9_b.jpg

19132391214_0f4960afe9_b.jpg

19747735952_2ef57d15b1_b.jpg

19754998825_7b027c0dd8_b.jpg

19566957928_01c34337e7_b.jpg

19755001675_987aa56162_b.jpg

19566981748_454016b009_b.jpg

Back