Toronto Eight Forty on St Clair | 28.95m | 8s | Worsley Urban | RAW Design

Semis would be a missed opportunity mistake on this site. Would rather see midrise format development with retail lining at base. Avenues-style intensification is encouraged after all with the St.Clair ROW running along this street.

Agreed, it would be a mistake not to have retail on that site. I can see them having issues with heights so I'm all for 3 story semis overtop of a story of retail if that is the density that they want to do but they really should have some retail there.

I'd prefer some retail too, but given they're proposing retail right across the street at the "Nest" condos and there's a fair amount of empty retail east of Wychwood and west of Arlington, I can see why they just went for the housing.

I'm sad about losing the KFC across the street.

New application reports condo format descriptions, with retail space included.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3426818

836 ST CLAIR AVE W
Ward 21 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a Site Plan Control (13-233007 SA) and Zoning By-Law Amendment (13-233010 OZ) to develop the lands for a mixed use building consisting of 8,921m2 of residential space (17 bachelor units, 94 one-bedrooms and 16 two-bedrooms) with 1,079m2 of retail space. This site will have a total of 81 parking spots (9 for visitors) and will be located below grade.

That definitely makes more sense for the site, but the signs, only recently put up, still show "semi's from $799K" with exterior renders. Very strange.

Also of note - they have started construction on site of what will probably be the sales office.

New application reports condo format descriptions, with retail space included.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3426818

836 ST CLAIR AVE W
Ward 21 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a Site Plan Control (13-233007 SA) and Zoning By-Law Amendment (13-233010 OZ) to develop the lands for a mixed use building consisting of 8,921m2 of residential space (17 bachelor units, 94 one-bedrooms and 16 two-bedrooms) with 1,079m2 of retail space. This site will have a total of 81 parking spots (9 for visitors) and will be located below grade.

Agreed. This unit mix is no way matches anything around it. With living area of over 90,000 sq.ft. these units are fairly large, I don't know why they didn't do something more like 10 bachelor, 50 1-beds w/den, 30 2 beds and 5 3 bed penthouses / rooftop townhomes.

http://www.urbancorp.com/registerform-stclair.html

stclair-rend-2.jpg

That picture of the location looks to be Hughes Public School on Caledonia and Innes Ave. It MOST CERTAINLY is NOT on St. Clair or or anywhere NEAR the Hungarian House!

Exactly. This has turned out to be quite the confusing set of misleading marketing and coordination. Someone also said they saw a sign posted on the Hungarian House site for "Homes on St. Clair". Those townhomes do make better sense for Caledonia.

Though this might indicate a stronger chance of the midrise condo being the true proposal for the Hungarian House site.

I went to Hughes until it closed down in the late 90s. I have great Memories of the place and I thought the structure was declared a historical site due to its many uses over the years and its over 100 yr old age. Far as I know its women's shelter and child care facility. Ive dropped off donations there many times. I would be shocked and disgusted if they tore down the actual building. its a lovely building and the massive indoor hallways and spaces always evoked a sense of grandeur and class about the whole place.

The building itself has served as a school, military hospital, morgue and im sure a few other uses aswell.

Found this. According to Toronto Lands Corporation (TDSB Land selling arm) the Hughes property has been sold, presumably to UrbanCorp. I plan to pass by site later this week and I'll see what I can find out.

http://www.torontolandscorp.com/index.php?option=com_hotproperty&view=property&id=79&Itemid=23

Last edited:
Ok so ive dug a little deaper about whats happening with these two Urbancorp properties.

The former Hughes Public School is now a YMCA is a ymca facility. A Toronto Star article from 2010 has the details in it.
In the west end, 27 homeless mothers and their 53 children eat, sleep, and get help to reboot their lives in what was historic Hughes Public School until the TDSB closed it nearly 10 years ago. The board rented the vaulting three-storey building to Beatrice House women’s shelter, now run by the YWCA, on a 10-year lease for $130,000 a year.

In August 2013, Urbancorp bought the 2- acre site site from TDSB for $8 million. The building however wont be demolished until 2015 when the current suite of leases expire on the daycares, YMCA facilities and other associations that inhabit the building. (Source: here)

The project will be developed under the name, Caledonia Estates on Innes Avenue. While I question the legitimacy of some of the info from the source site, it seems reasonable enough for me to quote here. I have some old pictures at the school and I'll see if i cant find them in our albums, Who doesnt like a trip down memory lane?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=43.6811...X4JkxpN_BzMvFn_VoIsOw&cbp=12,185.03,,0,-11.47

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the 836 St. Clair Avenue West, Hungarian House, site there is a new development application sign. I couldn't snap a picture today but ill be sure to get it this week. It looked like a 8-storey mid-rise from the streetcar window but cant confirm. My guess is the sales centre will function first for the town homes, whose profits will be used to pay for the condo in the same sales centre.

I pass by both sites on a weekly basis to work so I'll let the Forum know if i find out more about these sites.

With that said should we maybe split this thread into a low rise and high rise section?

Last edited:

Back