Markham GTA Centre | ?m | ?s | GTA S. and E. | BBB

Cities off the top of my head that have two or more 17,000+ seat arenas

Detroit - Palace of Auburn Hills, Joe Louis Arena
Chicago - United Center, Allstate Arena
New York City - Madison Square Garden, Barclay's Center, Nassau Veteran's Colliseum (Uniondale), Prudential Center (Newark), Izod Center (East Rutherford)
Columbus - Value City Arena, Nationwide Arena
Los Angeles - Staples Center, Honda Center (Anaheim), L.A. Forum
Miami - American Airlines Arena, BB&T Center (Fort Lauderdale)
Phoenix - Jobing.com Arena, U.S. Airways Center (Glendale)
San Francisco - HP Pavillion (San Jose), Oracle Arena (Oakland)
Minneapolis - Target Center, Xcel Energy Center (Saint Paul)

A few others that I think you could probably add. A lot of these exist because of college sports being big in the US. If Toronto were an American city we'd probably have at least 2 big arenas in the city proper because UofT and York would each have one.

Louisville - KFC Yum! Center, Freedom Hall
Washington - Verizon Center, Comcast Center (College Park)
Las Vegas - Thomas & Mack Center, MGM Grand Garden Arena
Raleigh - RBC Center, Dean Smith Center (Chapel Hill)
Salt Lake City - EnergySolutions Arena, Marriott Center (Provo)

As much as I wanted to see this built, with the lack of clarity around the financing, there was no way we could have approved what was being put forward as is. My only hope is that some deep pockets step up with private financing.

I bet you the Mayor is pissed as hell ; - ) ...

Glad to see this decision from Markham council. I agree, if the private sector thinks it's really viable, they can finance it themselves.

Yep this may still go ahead in a couple of months !

Is there still plans for this arena?.....anyways i guess they will build one somewhere in the GTA

NHL expansion to include Toronto, Quebec City, Seattle and Las Vegas:
The NHL may be set to expand in a big, big way.

Sports Business News reported late Tuesday the league is preparing to add four teams by 2017 in Toronto, Quebec City, Seattle and Las Vegas.

Expansion fees could reach a combined $1.4 billion.

The number of NHL teams would increase to 34, including nine Canadian clubs.
More......http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/08/26/nhl-expanding-to-las-vegas-is-a-done-deal-report

MLSE and OBSE are going to be pissed about this one. Serious threat to the Leafs and Nucks' respective fan bases.

Canucks have no say. its outside 50 mile radius.
MLSE needs a kick in the ass..far too long abusing fans with garbage teams, Leafs are worth 1.1 billion. have been competitive for one stretch in 47 years (early 90's) no cup appearance or cup win since 67...when there were only 6 teams. Fans here deserve another choice here... 6+million people in GTA. 10+million in Golden Horseshoe. Thats why we will see another team in GTA. :cool:

Canucks have no say. its outside 50 mile radius.
MLSE needs a kick in the ass..far too long abusing fans with garbage teams, Leafs are worth 1.1 billion. have been competitive for one stretch in 47 years (early 90's) no cup appearance or cup win since 67...when there were only 6 teams. Fans here deserve another choice here... 6+million people in GTA. 10+million in Golden Horseshoe. Thats why we will see another team in GTA. :cool:
To be fair, they were competitive for longer periods than that. The Leafs led by Sundin before the lockout were every bit as good as in the early 90s. They were good during much of the 70s too, although that's before my time. That said, I'd welcome a second Toronto team.

Back