Toronto Grid Condos | 157.88m | 50s | CentreCourt | IBI Group

Are you saying you disapprove? Because you are not required to buy a unit here.

Why does a person have to have a financial interest in this building to disapprove of the number of units? What a stupid response...

As for the building itself, I appreciate it'll be a student residence but that still sounds like a tight fit. Students aren't sardines, even if living conditions in this city resemble a can of them...

I wonder when things do eventually settle down how we or our children will look back at the hundreds of thousands of very tiny and/or poorly designed units that have and continue to go up. The 1960/70s slabs should still be standing as an a counterpoint. We'll always have students which make up a sizable demographic for condos along Bay/Yonge and NYCC.

Why do people simply assume we are making some giant mistakes and in 20 years everyone will regret it? Really?

I am not sure the New Yorkers, Parisians and Tokyoites are all looking at their small apartments built in the past in deep regret.

A 500sf condo may sound ridiculous today especially by those who are used to 2000sf houses, but guess what, it is probably what young people can afford in the future. 500sf is really not that small. Someone from Paris or London will be ecstatic to have them.

I wonder when things do eventually settle down how we or our children will look back at the hundreds of thousands of very tiny and/or poorly designed units that have and continue to go up. The 1960/70s slabs should still be standing as an a counterpoint. We'll always have students which make up a sizable demographic for condos along Bay/Yonge and NYCC.

I really doubt that will be the case. Housing units in major cities only decrease in size as population increases, and Toronto's downtown population is supposed to double by 2040.

The 'new' dumbed-down Grid Condos - all balconies eliminated

Original vs Revised East Elevation

Original vs Revised Floorplate

Indeed ... building grew from 47s to 50s

Why do people simply assume we are making some giant mistakes and in 20 years everyone will regret it? Really?

I am not sure the New Yorkers, Parisians and Tokyoites are all looking at their small apartments built in the past in deep regret.

A 500sf condo may sound ridiculous today especially by those who are used to 2000sf houses, but guess what, it is probably what young people can afford in the future. 500sf is really not that small. Someone from Paris or London will be ecstatic to have them.

I'm referring to the layouts. They are extremely inefficient compared to their European counterparts. You see the same standardized designs in these 500 foot homes that you see in those with 2000 square feet.

Some choices even boggle the mind. Does a small one bedroom really need an additional half bath?

Most of the neighbourhood I grew up in has seen the 1400 square foot houses renovated into 2000+ square foot homes. This is happening all across Toronto too. There's no indication the condo market won't follow suit once the investment side loses strength.

I'm referring to the layouts. They are extremely inefficient compared to their European counterparts. You see the same standardized designs in these 500 foot homes that you see in those with 2000 square feet.

Some choices even boggle the mind. Does a small one bedroom really need an additional half bath?

Most of the neighbourhood I grew up in has seen the 1400 square foot houses renovated into 2000+ square foot homes. This is happening all across Toronto too. There's no indication the condo market won't follow suit once the investment side loses strength.

That's a legitimate concern. And I assume you are suggesting the layout of these small condos are catered to renters? I don't see that as a big problem, because renters and owners basically have the same need in terms of housing. Of course a one bedroom with 1.5 or even 2 bath is unnecessary but we don't really see too many of these units. A 2b/2b condo of 700sf may sound very crowded, but whether you are an owner or a renter, having your own bathroom is a big plus. One doesn't want to share bathroom with a stranger, as much as with his family member.

Bad layouts are bad layout and it is not unique to new condos. Many old condos have exactly the same issue. 55 Centre Ave comes into mind.

What I am more concerned about are the "amenities" - it is getting ridiculously superfluous in many cases. A reading room? A library? Movie room? Party room? Really? Not that they are bad, but they put unnecessary stress on the maintenance fees, which make condo living less attractive. Who want to pay $800 on condo fees alone, on top of mortgage, tax and utilities? And you know what's different from our condos and the European ones? These - that in Europe condo living is simply a basic way of life, while in Toronto you need to add so much to make it attractive, and families still largely stay away from them.

Last edited:
The City mandates a certain amount of space in each building for both indoor and outdoor amenities. I don't have time to look up the formula right now, but essentially, the more units in the building, the more amenity space it is required to provide.

As suites get smaller, it makes sense to me that the amenity space improves. I've used party, game, and screening rooms in condos. If the building wants to include a library as a quieter socializing area (compared to the party room), that's not a bad idea. Buildings will have to start paying more attention to amenities directed to children and pets—some have them but most don't—or I predict they'll have to find ways to retrofit them in as time passes.

It's the swimming pools and gyms that really add to the maintenance fees, as both take a lot of upkeep. If you want those things, move to a bigger building where the cost of them can be amortized over more units, or be prepared to pony up more on monthly basis for them in smaller buildings with extensive recreation space.

Back