Toronto The Globe and Mail Centre | 83.21m | 17s | First Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Starbucks seems to belie any expectations of what it means to saturate a market. It's nuts. That's not least because--gasp--they actually have half decent stuff, and their locations are generally nice to be in. There's better coffee around, but far worse as well.

Most people that go to Starbucks don't go for the coffee. They go for the decor, the branding, and/or to buy a liquid dessert (sometimes with a little bit of coffee in it). If they only sold coffee (the plain stuff) they'd go bankrupt as it's very acidic. Their americano isn't much better.

Most people that go to Starbucks don't go for the coffee. They go for the decor, the branding, and/or to buy a liquid dessert (sometimes with a little bit of coffee in it). If they only sold coffee (the plain stuff) they'd go bankrupt as it's very acidic. Their americano isn't much better.
Oh come on, taste in coffee is subjective, not objective, you can't speak on behalf of all or most people buying coffee at Starbucks. When they're brewing their Verona roast, there's nowhere else I'd rather be buying my java.

I like Starbucks' brewed coffee - I don't find it acidic at all. Their espresso-based drinks are not the best, so I tend to go elsewhere for a good latte, but to each their own.

I have no strong desire for "liquid deserts", don't care a fig about the branding, and frankly find the decor at all kinds of coffee shops to be interesting (Starbucks hardly has a monopoly on that). I do find the app, and pre-ordering, very useful, and it probably makes me more inclined to stop at Starbucks on my way into the office for my morning coffee.

Hmm....I don't mind chains and you don't get sarcasm.

I'm fully aware of understanding sarcasm. I don't know if you know, but words on a screen don't have the same effect as real life conversation. But the point is some people on this website seriously have it out for Starbucks, like it's the devil reincarnated in coffee shop form. It's really not a big deal that "another Starbucks" opened up.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to get three or even four Starbucks in the same photograph. Two shouldn't be too hard.

I'm fully aware of understanding sarcasm. I don't know if you know, but words on a screen don't have the same effect as real life conversation. But the point is some people on this website seriously have it out for Starbucks, like it's the devil reincarnated in coffee shop form. It's really not a big deal that "another Starbucks" opened up.
OK, I am not too fond of Starbucks coffee myself but they are, as you say "just a coffee shop". That said, I really wish they had not opened up at the G&M because their presence will rule out another small 'independent' store or food/coffee shop or even a store selling stuff that we do not have in the area at all. If one likes Starbucks there really are lots of others in the near vicinity - a bit of variety would have been nice.

There's lots of other coffee choices in the area. Neo, Black Canary, Café 260, Rooster, within a couple blocks, Fuel +, Balzac's, and a dozen more within half a dozen blocks. What a lot of bitching about nothing.

There's lots of other coffee choices in the area. Neo, Black Canary, Café 260, Rooster, within a couple blocks, Fuel +, Balzac's, and a dozen more within half a dozen blocks. What a lot of bitching about nothing.

My complaint is NOT that it's a Starbucks but that it is yet another coffee shop. (And, that if it was to be coffee shop, why yet another Starbucks which are very present in the neighbourhood.) Better than a nail salon I suppose but ...

There's a commuter college in the neighbourhood so you're going to have to accept a lot of coffee shops. Retail beyond furniture outlets (some not even open to the public) is still relatively new to the neighbourhood.

At long last, "THE GLOBE" letters were hung on the south side of the building to complete the signage.

Close-up on the mechanical penthouse in daytime.

And at night...

Glad to see a little sidewalk patio with umbrellas on Berkeley Street to charm up the Starbucks store. The inside is a little minimalist and sterile compared to most Starbucks I've been to.

A real nice feature is the brightly lit sidewalk thanks largely to the canopy downlighting along the south and east sides of the building.

Today.
IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4324.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4323.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG
    875.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4324.JPG
    IMG_4324.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 300
As someone who works in the Toronto Star building, colour me green jelly. This is a beautiful piece of work. Design, materials, mass, and context.

Back