Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

Yey! A fully transparent buildings cars can drive though. I've always wanted one of those ;)

Now I understand this is supposedly a "concept plan" but what point can it possibly serve to anyone.

I guess you get a clearer idea of the project ... ha .. ha, clearer :p

What a bizarre group of renderpersons - an elderly man abducting a small child, a bald headed woman picking head lice, a young couple engaging in foreplay in the middle of the intersection, a dog-walker watcher ...

Jayo:

Isn't that a conflict of interest?

I am sure he will have to declare the conflict and sit out that session. That said, these sort of thing is always a tad incestuous considering it's basically peer evaluation...

AoD

I don't see any reason why Bruce couldn't design the campus and still chair a design review of its proposed architecture.

The waterfront design review panel's much-publicized "line in the sand" forced Corus architect Jack Lump-O-Coal to go back to the drawing board... resulting in a modern masterpiece* that will grace our waterfront.

*modern masterpiece = same despised "design" + new renders of the same building with new render people.

Not a whole lot going on but there were a few workers around. (just finishing work)

GEORGEBROWNCAMPUS1.jpg

GEORGEBROWN2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, let's hope this is a bit more interesting and colourful than Corus. I know many people on this forum have a grey fetish but I am not one of them. I'll take black over gray any day.

George Brown College ready to break ground for new waterfront campus

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2009/16/c5881.html

TORONTO, Sept. 16 /CNW/ - With today's announcement of EllisDon Corporation as the construction management partner for its new campus in the heart of Toronto's waterfront redevelopment, George Brown College is now fully supported in its effort to build a dynamic new home overlooking Lake Ontario. All the elements are now in place to aggressively move forward with excavation of the site, slated to begin in late October.

EllisDon, a Canadian-owned construction engineering and project management firm, joins the wider team of architects and designers that will support the expansion of the college as it enters one of the most dynamic periods of expansion in its history.

The groundbreaking is just one in a series of key milestones in the campus development over the next 60 days. The college and its architectural joint venture partner Stantec Architecture/KPMB kicked off the process by presenting their preliminary design concepts to the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel this morning. They will also be engaging in a series of stakeholder meetings over the coming months and will be seeking Toronto City Council approval of the project in October.

"With the project, design and construction teams now in place, George Brown College's new campus is on an accelerated path to completion," said Anne Sado, president of George Brown College. "We are a matter of weeks away from beginning construction of a state-of-the-art facility that will help students study in one of the city's most beautiful, modern and relevant learning environments."...

Link to Star's article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/696953

There was also a render in today's Sun paper.

That rendering doesn't say anything to me - its just as bad as a the transparent concept rendering on the last page.

p5

I have no idea what to expect aside from glass boxes of around 5-6 stories. Have there been any other renderings? Good to hear something is starting on the waterfront. Where exactly is this, is it next to the corus building, or in a different area all together?

I quote the Star article:

"If you create a space that students are excited to go to, that makes a difference," Sado said of the colourful glass, wood and metal buildings – depicted in preliminary designs rolled out yesterday – that will rise along the south side of Queens Quay between Lower Sherbourne and Lower Jarvis Sts.

Doesn't sound terribly boring to me.

mckarisma:

Yes, it's immediately east of Corus.

AoD

Back