Toronto Curio by Hilton Distillery District | 115.1m | 31s | Gupta | Arcadis

Maybe they'll use seamless glass, like the viewing theatre at the Georgia Aquarium. I was watching a construction program, and apparently it's several massive panels fused together somehow. I forget the how part though...

...should've paid better attention I suppose.

Egotrippin:

Sounds more like arcylic to me, which can be fused in a seamless manner. Oh wait I forgot - transparent aluminium.

AoD

The addition of windows to the rack house, in an almost random pattern, also makes something more of the building - in much the same way as Rack House 'M' was improved when it was reduced in mass and reborn as a podium for the aA condo tower.

Thanks for the treasure trove of info!

From the looks of it - there will be a series of very small, polygonal vertical spaces that penetrate the height of the historical structure leading to skylights along the perimeter on the E-W sides of the building.

More observations will be appending to this posting.

AoD

Yup read that - that cannot be read as "the city favours this type of development" as it is just part of the planning process.

AoD

That much details are a given - if you had paid attention to the city reports that have been posted online frequently on UT, you would have found out that addressing these issues:

* Planning and Urban Design Rationale
* Heritage Impact Assessment
* Archaeological Resource Assessment
* Pedestrian Level Wind Study
* Traffic Study
* Site Servicing Assessment and Stormwater Management Report
* Noise Impact Study
* Geotechnical Investigation
* Waste Management Master Report
* Arborist Report

are required as part of the process - though often at the request of the community council instead of the proponent. The fact that this - and other projects - are posted online while others aren't might be more suggested of a high level of public interest or potential contentious nature more than anything else. It certainly does not mean the city staff supports of disapprove of the project one way or another.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/south.htm

Like seriously, for all the time you've been on here talking about the projects you should have some inkling about the process by this time.

AoD

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the link. Very stunning design, I love S + P's work!

From the link:

rackhouse1.jpg

rackhouseaerialview.jpg

rackhousefromdistillery.jpg

rackhousemillstreetview.jpg

rackhousepodium.jpg

rackhouseviewatmidheigh.jpg

^ Great new renders above!

And some of the hotel interiors, looking at how they plan on making use of the smaller than standard windows.

rackhouseinteriorhotel.jpg

rackhouseinteriorhotel1.jpg

Back