Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Looks like a sealed vision unit that broke. Hard to imagine that breaking spontaneously. I'd be curious to hear more about what happened.

What is a sealed vision unit?
When you look at a piece of glass that you can see through, you are actually (unless it is an old single pane) looking at two pieces of glass that have been sealed together with an airspace in between. This is known as an insulating glass unit (IGU), sometimes called a sealed unit. And since you can see through the glass, it is known as a vision.

Oct 15: Missing glass visible

fourseasons.JPG
fourseasons1.JPG
fourseasons2.JPG

Attachments

• fourseasons.JPG
    fourseasons.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 2,319
  • fourseasons1.JPG
    fourseasons1.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 2,336
  • fourseasons2.JPG
    fourseasons2.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 2,330
Is the roof of the Four Seasons lit up tonight? I just got back from a walk through a local, suburban park, that has great view of the skyline, and it appeared that the crown of the tower was illuminated. Usually, all I can see from here is the tower's blinking red lights, on the rooftop, but there was a horizontal band of light that accompanied it tonight.

Is it being replaced in that pic, or were they doing other maintenance work? Also, do we know what caused it? structural failure or human error?

I looked later on and that glass still hasn't been replaced. I don't recall hearing what the cause of the shattered glass was in the end.

Back