Toronto The Florian | ?m | 25s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Hariri Pontarini

from an article in the Star, on the slowing market, found here..

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/537438

this..

Some analysts see the new-build condo sector, with almost 300 projects on the market, as particularly vulnerable to a downswing.

Some projects are not expected to go ahead as demand falls and financing gets harder to obtain. But some developers think that may be a good thing.

"It's not a sign of anything other than business is healthy and things need to be weeded to be stronger," says Julie Di Lorenzo, Diamante Development Corp. co-president. "Name me one business area that doesn't shed the weakest links. New players will gain more experience, fine tune their business plans and come back into the market."

Last week the condominium developer held a groundbreaking for its luxury project The Florian, where prices start at $1 million. The developer took out a Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. policy that insures construction financing, she says.

Site Plan + Scaled Model

courtesy of Florian's website (http://www.theflorian.com/)

Site Plan - 'The Domus' buidling that I dearly adore is to the north
Florian_sp.jpg

Scaled Model - East View
Florian_model1.jpg

North End of Podium
Florian_model2.jpg

East End of Podium (where residents drop-off is located)
Florian_rendering.jpg

Scaled Model

took a swing by the presentation centre recently and was quite impressed ... sales person said site demolition (where the Infinity car dealership is now) will begin within a month, followed by excavation ~

Southwest View - facing Davenport
IMG_2855.jpg

East View - McMurrich Street in foreground
IMG_2852.jpg

Although the Florian doesn't floor me (apologies!) with its architecture, I will be quite glad to see this go ahead. The swoop of the podium along Davenport should really improve this stretch of street. With the new density here, and at Lotus, and at the Four Seasons condotel, this whole area should have a more vibrant feel in a few years time. Maybe we'll even have Milan built over at Yonge at some point, and that ambitious scheme to replace Cumberland Terrace is out there too. Bay north of Yorkville and Yonge north of Bloor has felt like an afterthought for a long time, with 18 Yonge being the first real stab at renewing the area in ages, and these buildings are needed to bring the area back: I'm glad that's coming now.

I absolutely love grey brick! I hope this building turns out really well. I enjoy the way brick works with glass.

I absolutely love grey brick! I hope this building turns out really well. I enjoy the way brick works with glass.

That grey brick is actually a purple colour. Quite nice in person.

Anybody have a shot of the sales center with the brick work and dark tinted glass? If the whole building turns out like that and there is no cheaping out on materials then it will be a great addition. Even i the architecture is less than exciting.

I wish there were floorplans available to view.
I can't believe after all this time, they have not uploaded them onto their website. :(

How does ground freezing work in these parts? When does soil become well and truly un-diggable?

I don't think its that big a problem. The ground is frozen just a few feet down ( where its frozen at all / building to be knocked down ).
They just need to break through the upper crust and even in this neighbourhood, it is not that thick. :eek:(sneaked another one in there, didn't I)

Back