Toronto Flaire | 40.23m | 11s | Cadillac Fairview | Giannone Petricone

I'm a 5 minute drive away and I wouldn't want to be any other place within the city.

But it's not trying to be like downtown or midtown; That appeals to a lot of folks;

Another similar (though much much more potential) would be downtown Markham (and maybe one day VCC); These also aim to more closely resemble downtown / midtown (mix of residential / commercial) but obviously on a much smaller (and still very car dependent) scale.

I think it really depends what you mean; What do you like about downtown ? The Kensington market / Queen W / Dundas / .... vibe ? If so none of the projects I stated will ever come close to emulating that; Rather they'll come close to emulating the eaton center or the like (maybe partly outside), but for a lot of folks that's great (coupled with it being closer to work if we're referring to Markham)

Markham is so far out of the way, though. Don Mills is pretty much in the geographical center of Toronto. It has quick access to the DVP and 401; it's a 10 minute drive from downtown; it has plenty of parks, ravines, trails; a good retail centre in Shops at Don Mills; a nice (but diminishing) modernist housing stock; it's busy, but not too busy; it's arguably the best neighbourhood in the city to raise a family, etc. And it will only get more interesting with the condos that have yet to be built (I'm curious what HP has planned for their developments here, in terms of public space). It will also be interesting to see how the new community centre and arena shape up. There's plenty of good things happening in Don Mills. The restaurants could be a bit better, however. Joey is crap and I would like to see the Pizza Pizza at SADM replaced with a gourmet pizza restaurant.

I like the scale and style of these. Would I want to live around this area though? nobody here who lives near this area? It seems rather suburban. I'm so used to living in central TO I wonder how difficult it would be to adjust to an area like this?
The Shops at Don Mills is urban enough to suffice.

I wouldn't look at the condos here though. There are still some nice townhouses in the area that are at an affordable price that I would look to snatch up before they too become unaffordable.

This area is set to boom.

I've lived in Don Mills for some time after living downtown and elsewhere. It is a tad suburban and that was the primary reason why we moved in. The schools are excellent, it's been a great place to raise a family. There are few thorough fares (other than Don Mills and Lawrence) so compared with other neighbourhoods in the city, it is very quiet and very safe. I see deer and fox regularly (in addition the standard racoons, chipmunks, skunks and gophers. We occasionally hear coyotes). As mentioned, geographically it is in the middle of the City, which was the other main reason we bought here. My commute to the core in rush hour is roughly 25 minutes. The Shops is a dramatic improvement on what was there earlier. That said, we could use more independent dining options. Don Mills is not urban but the next best thing.

I've lived in Don Mills for some time after living downtown and elsewhere. It is a tad suburban and that was the primary reason why we moved in. The schools are excellent, it's been a great place to raise a family. There are few thorough fares (other than Don Mills and Lawrence) so compared with other neighbourhoods in the city, it is very quiet and very safe. I see deer and fox regularly (in addition the standard racoons, chipmunks, skunks and gophers. We occasionally hear coyotes). As mentioned, geographically it is in the middle of the City, which was the other main reason we bought here. My commute to the core in rush hour is roughly 25 minutes. The Shops is a dramatic improvement on what was there earlier. That said, we could use more independent dining options. Don Mills is not urban but the next best thing.
If you're looking for a surprisingly great, independent restaurant in the area, try this place (it just opened recently): http://www.dine.to/cucina-865/website

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,085
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,148
Totally agree Ed ... unfortunately Don Mills' harmony will soon be completely ruined by Lanterra when their next towers go up 30+ storeys (Rodeo Drive + 169 Donway) :eek:

rodeo-drive-condos-future-phases.jpg

Really wish they would fill in those awful parking lots fronting onto Don Mills.

What were they thinking we the squarish brick corners! Overall, these came out well above expectation.

Back