Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I might be alone on this one but I really hope some of those "crappy, seedy" stores remain on Yonge ... not all and there's a bit too much today still but I hope some do remain. Some of those stores have interesting things to offer but really it's the character they create. We have a lot of high end streets and I hope Yonge does not become that 100%. I don't mind if the following were to occur:

The area Just north of Dundas and South go up a little. Just North most of the stores are already quite high end (relatively seeking).
Just south not so much.

Not sure if anyone has info but the store that used to be a currency exchange is for lease now - so is that new PURPLE building < or re cladding building that was created.

We have that new proposal that should knock out a few of the other stores as well just south of Dundas.

But North of Dudnas I hope some of the character that exists today remains ... scattered around at the very least.

I do think resorting to facadectomy would be an out and out mistake, because while you might not lose their presence, you'd lose their uses. How many of those small businesses do you think would turn up inside a condo podium? That middle-eastern place, for instance, brings real value and quality-of-life benefits (good, cheap, different, all-hours non-fast-food) to the strip. Never mind what's hidden on the upper floors...

Exactly. You'd end up with the same chain stores you find everywhere else. Look at the retail at ROCP. A bank and a Pizza Pizza. That's what Yonge Street would become if you redeveloped it. Leave that to Bay Street.

The retail and restaurant mix has changed tremendously in the past few years as more and more condos are being occupied in the area bringing more middle class residents to the area. Yonge around College and extending south from Bloor has a lot of new tenants - especially restaurants that weren't there 4 or 5 years ago - a lot of the crappy tourist, dollar stores and luggage stores etc are disappearing and being replaced by mid-level retail and restaurants. The number of occupancies scheduled for 2009 and 2010 will really fuel the rapidly evolving streetscape despite the declining economy (The Murano's = 680 units; Uptown = 284 units; Lumiere = 329 units; Casa = 416 units; BSN was 327 units when it was planned at 26s - not sure what the new figure is; Crystal Blu = 141 units and X = 427 units)

I might be alone on this one but I really hope some of those "crappy, seedy" stores remain on Yonge ... not all and there's a bit too much today still but I hope some do remain. Some of those stores have interesting things to offer but really it's the character they create. We have a lot of high end streets and I hope Yonge does not become that 100%. I don't mind if the following were to occur:

The area Just north of Dundas and South go up a little. Just North most of the stores are already quite high end (relatively seeking).
Just south not so much.

Not sure if anyone has info but the store that used to be a currency exchange is for lease now - so is that new PURPLE building < or re cladding building that was created.

We have that new proposal that should knock out a few of the other stores as well just south of Dundas.

But North of Dudnas I hope some of the character that exists today remains ... scattered around at the very least.

Your not alone, I agree.
Here's the thing about Yonge Street, it constantly evolves and I think that is one of many of endearing qualities of this strip.
The Yonge & St. Joseph proposal is (IMO) a brilliant project, one which adds density to the area and near to a subway yet finds a spot to nestle within a well loved (or loathed) neighbourhood without altering it's surroundings. I hope in years to come more projects like this can take advantage of similar spaces on the west side of Yonge.

^ Ha ha, maybe so. This area has a good supply of take-out food.

I would hate to see all of the grittiness and funkyness taken out of this area. It does have charm and attracts pedestrian traffic. But there's certainly room for good new projects as well, as dt toronto says, and we need a few of them.

I do think resorting to facadectomy would be an out and out mistake, because while you might not lose their presence, you'd lose their uses. How many of those small businesses do you think would turn up inside a condo podium? That middle-eastern place, for instance, brings real value and quality-of-life benefits (good, cheap, different, all-hours non-fast-food) to the strip. Never mind what's hidden on the upper floors...

I agree with just about everything your saying, in that it is a great to have places like that middle-eastern place in this area for all the reasons you stated. However, while on the one hand you get to keep a few unique shops in a downtown location, on the other you get a hopefully attractive new 49 storey building basically on a subway route, that would preserve the essence of the buildings while likely improving their physical characteristics.

For me option 2 wins just about every time.

I agree with just about everything your saying, in that it is a great to have places like that middle-eastern place in this area for all the reasons you stated. However, while on the one hand you get to keep a few unique shops in a downtown location, on the other you get a hopefully attractive new 49 storey building basically on a subway route, that would preserve the essence of the buildings while likely improving their physical characteristics.

For me option 2 wins just about every time.

I suppose the best alternative is to try to get the best of both worlds - and if those plans indicated that these structures will be left intact, as they appeared to, then that's what we might be lucky enough to get!

Too high

The height of his building is all wrong for the neigbourhood. The proposal has some good ideas for the shops on Yonge and more storefront access on St. Nicholas, but the shadows from the tower very much impact the streets to the North.

I have been told that the Community Consultation will be on Monday March 2 at St. Joseph Girls School at 74 Wellesley Street West at 7 pm in the gym.

I have been told that the Community Consultation will be on Monday March 2 at St. Joseph Girls School at 74 Wellesley Street West at 7 pm in the gym.

Good. I'll be at the Community Consultation supporting this project.

Back