Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Again ... name some parking lots without any recent proposals? (and most likely by other developers)

We have; Market Wharf, Cooke's Church, 1000 Bay, and, the soon to be brilliant, Ronald McDonald House for those specifc parking lots you mentioned.

I think after the nimby's will shut up after they review this proposal.

Just looking at the renders in the proposal, aside from the height (which you are not going to change b/c of the neighbourhood/location), it appears they have gone and satisfied everyone by keeping the most of the existing buildings marked as heritage structures, even the ones on Yonge St.

I personally would prefer something new, bold, yet respectful to the street, something that would pay homage to the old buildings. Yet I'm also curious to see how the appearance of this structure will look in real life. I don't know of any in Toronto that combine so many old structures into one.

Oh, and should this thread be merged with the St. Nich one now? They appear to be the same developer.

I really like this proposal. It keeps the low-rise character of Yonge Street intact, while enhancing the rest of the site, particularly against St. Nicolas Street, which is a great little alleyway, but isn't really animated along that side.

Sucks for the kids who are going to lose their skate park for this... Oh well, onward and upward, power of the dollar and all that.

One note, the report has 9 St. Nicholas as a 4 story commercial building. It's actually 6 stories and is full of (really nicely restored) residential lofts.

I think after the nimby's will shut up after they review this proposal.

Just looking at the renders in the proposal, aside from the height (which you are not going to change b/c of the neighbourhood/location), it appears they have gone and satisfied everyone by keeping the most of the existing buildings marked as heritage structures, even the ones on Yonge St.

I personally would prefer something new, bold, yet respectful to the street, something that would pay homage to the old buildings.

Nothing pays homage as much as a wrecking ball.

Sucks for the kids who are going to lose their skate park for this... Oh well, onward and upward, power of the dollar and all that.

Good Ol' Shred Central. I broke my ankle there skateboarding. There are new parks opening, such as the one close to Ashbridges Bay, whenever the heck it finally opens. But Shred is an indoor park and there aren't that many remaining in the GTA, if not the last.

I really like the set-backs for this tower and how they are incorporating the heritage buildings.

But is there really a demand for 7storey retail in that area; and what about those poor souls facing Saint Nicholas Street - what kind of foot traffic would they ever see ???

Who is Diamond Corp?

I noticed that the architect is Hariri Pontarini (HPA). :D
They've done some good work in making new construction blend well with heritage areas like St. Lawrence Market, St. Thomas and McKinsey @ Charles St. W. so hopefully this will come out well !
The design of the tower has some aspects of Fly with the jagged edges.

Applicant: Agent: Architect: Owner:
DIAMOND CORP
22 St. Clair Avenue East,
Suite 1010
Toronto, ON M4T 2S3
DIAMOND CORP
Suite 1010
Toronto, ON M4T 2S3
Hariri Pontarini Architects
602 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1M6
JOYONGE
DEVELOPMENTS
CORPORATION
Suite 1010
Toronto, ON M4T 2S3

Who is Diamond Corp?

Steve Diamond recently went out on his own to form a new development company and has brought in some well connected people in the development industry. This should be an interesting company to watch in the future as Steve Diamond has his fingerprints all over many of the significant developments constructed in Toronto the past couple of decades.

i haven't seen the site in person, but i'm wondering how the traffic for cars going in/out will be like since it's in a smaller street rather than on major roads (e.g., yonge st.)

I don't really see how that would work, considering St. Nicholas is barely wide enough for two cars, and the buildings are built right up the road (no sidewalks). While driving recently, I had to back up from St. Nicholas onto Phipps as a recycling truck and I could not fit on the street at the same time.

I don't see how this is going to fly given the current market conditions and the general ridiculousness of the proposal, but it'll probably get approved anyway, even if by the OMB.

Also, just think of the shadow impacts on Yonge! Oh, the horror!

I don't really see how that would work, considering St. Nicholas is barely wide enough for two cars, and the buildings are built right up the road (no sidewalks). While driving recently, I had to back up from St. Nicholas onto Phipps as a recycling truck and I could not fit on the street at the same time.

I don't see how this is going to fly given the current market conditions and the general ridiculousness of the proposal, but it'll probably get approved anyway, even if by the OMB.

Also, just think of the shadow impacts on Yonge! Oh, the horror!

The parking access is from St. Joseph Street.

Back