Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I really like this tower, but one thing I don't really get in the flat east facing portion of the crown. Like... is that it? It just seems lacking in detail compared to everything else? like is there a lighting component or something? or that's just it?

A good article in Now Magazine with before and after shots of that stretch of Yonge Street. The RBC branch definitely deadens the street.
"Where once there were many independent stores, there's now one bank at ground level with a single entrance (corporate double doors) and three non-entrances. Above, with no apparent means of access, are probably apartments entered from the condo building's lobby in the back, definitely not generating foot traffic on Yonge." https://nowtoronto.com/news/are-we-killing-yonge-street/

What used to be a gritty little street has really come around. The last element is rejuvenating those Victorian townhouses on the North side of St Joseph across from Five. There always seems to be suspect activity there, just a weird vibe that casts a pall over the street.

28354695105_bfb1dec067_h.jpg

27738596304_d276bc17c3_h.jpg

27738593734_df00652a47_h.jpg

27738599844_93d183966d_h.jpg

28321096436_9012985232_h.jpg

27738614474_81a9fc40b4_h.jpg

28072322190_564418cdde_h.jpg

28251379112_cc8121bff8_h.jpg

27680542573_af316ea016_h.jpg

27680541303_379281bd37_h.jpg

27680544763_ced1e0259f_h.jpg

28264670972_28c785713a_h.jpg

Last edited:
A good article in Now Magazine with before and after shots of that stretch of Yonge Street. The RBC branch definitely deadens the street.
"Where once there were many independent stores, there's now one bank at ground level with a single entrance (corporate double doors) and three non-entrances. Above, with no apparent means of access, are probably apartments entered from the condo building's lobby in the back, definitely not generating foot traffic on Yonge." https://nowtoronto.com/news/are-we-killing-yonge-street/

Most moronic NOW article ever, and typical. As far as I am aware, nothing prevented NOW from leasing the RBC spot, and whatever unvisited, unsuccessful shops existed before couldn't afford to stay. We have a very fine tower, lovingly restored Victorians- but NOW wants an internet café or whatever. Is the term "corporate double doors" some new Marxist code, and are banks supposed to have many, many entrances? Does NOW propose condo residents enter their condos through the Bank Branch? I'm confused. Finally, I'm 100% certain residents are generating foot traffic on Yonge.

Most moronic NOW article ever, and typical. As far as I am aware, nothing prevented NOW from leasing the RBC spot, and whatever unvisited, unsuccessful shops existed before couldn't afford to stay. We have a very fine tower, lovingly restored Victorians- but NOW wants an internet café or whatever. Is the term "corporate double doors" some new Marxist code, and are banks supposed to have many, many entrances? Does NOW propose condo residents enter their condos through the Bank Branch? I'm confused. Finally, I'm 100% certain residents are generating foot traffic on Yonge.

So media outlets shouldn't pass judgment on matters they deem to be in the best interests of the public?

I understand the landlord being more than satisfied with a bank occupying half to 2/3rds of the retail space. That doesn't make the sentiments/concerns that Yonge is becoming blander any less valid. A landlord with a little more vision could come up with a plan that would make him just as money and keep Yonge original. It would just take a little more time and a little more work.

It was a fine article that raised some very important points about how we evaluate heritage preservation. The buildings look beautiful, sure, but how do they contribute to the vitality of the street? Is it so wrong to ask whether a bank branch is the best possible use of this space?

Also, the author has a name. He is Robert Allsopp of DTAH, and I would humbly suggest that he is not the least bit "moronic".

I understand the landlord being more than satisfied with a bank occupying half to 2/3rds of the retail space. That doesn't make the sentiments/concerns that Yonge is becoming blander any less valid. A landlord with a little more vision could come up with a plan that would make him just as money and keep Yonge original. It would just take a little more time and a little more work.

Easy for you to say (or, talk is cheap). Retail isn't exactly thriving right now, anywhere, especially on Yonge Street. And it will be a while before all internet cafes, knock-off luggage, bubble-tea, and tattoo shops dwindle. But please proceed to describe the specifics of your suggestion?

Finally, I'm 100% certain residents are generating foot traffic on Yonge.

Residents will but that's not the point here. A bank will not generate the same traffic as three separate retailers. Start with the bank hours which are shorter than other retail.

It was a fine article that raised some very important points about how we evaluate heritage preservation. The buildings look beautiful, sure, but how do they contribute to the vitality of the street? Is it so wrong to ask whether a bank branch is the best possible use of this space?

Also, the author has a name. He is Robert Allsopp of DTAH, and I would humbly suggest that he is not the least bit "moronic".

I'm surprised you'd double down on this article. Unless we are asking developer to subsidize retailer's lease, they will have to pay market rates. In exchange for tiny strips of lovingly restored Victorians I can live with a bank and a coffee shop. If this writer is so insightful how do you explain his claim that 5 will not create foot traffic on Yonge? It's so blatantly false, it's hard to take the article seriously. And the "Corporate double doors" etc. I'm referring to the points cited in the excerpt.

Back