Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I think with a sense of co-optive irony, the term "limp wristed" might still be acceptable--or even, conversely, as a useful warning when feyness becomes a little too fey and insular for its own good. Even from within. (Look at it this way. The "Bruce La Bruce" wing of queerdom would probably share V of E's concerns and even terminology. Political correctness is for wimps and cowards, y'know;-))

But anyhoo, re this project and its funding, don't discount the possibility of Harper's provincial party counterpart pulling some strings on TIFF's behalf--it isn't like John Tory's mayoralty run strategizing was all for naught, after all...

Bell Lightbox (TIFF/Festival Tower)

This September an official announcement will be made about the launch of this project.

festivalTower.jpg

this project is a personal favorite, I can't wait to see it go up. that corner sooooo needs to be developed.

with mirvish near by, the symphony and the opera, this area truly stands to become one heck of an entertainment district.

This is a great project and a great addition to the neighbourhood (and I would love to see this that parking lot replaced).

On a cynical note: They are announcing a launch? Why do they not just launch? And when is the launch? December? Next year at this time? And wasn't there an event during the last film festival in which they were going to make some anouncement or something? (that's it for my cynical rant)

And does the TIFF have enough funds and government committment to move on this sucker. There has been much delay (I am pointing out the obvious) and I hope that cost cuts etc do not change the design to a lesser project.

The advertisement states they will announce the launch of sales during a screening at this years Film Festival. So anytime between the 7th to 16th of this September.

They announced the government funding for the Film Festival portion of the building last year. There was an ad for the condo portion in last years festival catalogue (FYI, this years catalogue is released on August 29).

Has there been a change in the design? I don't recall seeing such a bulky box of a tower in the previous renderings.

Yeah, same bulky look - I had been hoping for something more slender...

Last year's announcement ("Red Carpet Event") was held opn the first Saturday of the fest, so I expect that again this year, which would be the 9th.

The announcement is likely to include the name of the centre, and last year indications were that it would be the Bell Toronto International Film Festival Centre. We may hear about other firms who have ponied up some cash for individual auditorium names, etc., if those have been dedicated. While we will definitely hear that more money still needs to be raised, indications are that the whole thing is a go.

One can only hope that the purchaser of the naming rights will do something altruistic, such as insisting it be named the Brian Linehan Festival Theatre or somesuch.

Its proportions do seem a bit on the slab-ish side. I like minimalist boxes but this seems a bit plain to me.

You're right ap, with five auditoria, a museum, a film library, and the festival archives in the new centre, one hopes that Linehan will be memorialized somewhere in that building.

Did you attend either the TIFFG Red Carpet talk that Linehan gave at the Capitol Event Theatre the year before his death, or the memorial at the Winter Garden following it? Linehan's talk was very entertaining, and the memorial was suitably both sober and funny and warm, and thanks to Sharon Gless, occasionally maudlin. Something for everyone...

No, I couldn't. Though I am addicted to his show, which runs in the morning on Bravo? One of those high number channels.

Back