Toronto Fabrik Condos | 56.99m | 17s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Other than the two red lines that jogs across the building, it's a rather mediocre and generic looking building.
A 6-story Aa glass box with the overused staggered window pattern sitting on a 10-story charcoal gray brick base, a la Victory Condos.

Don't worry, the little bits of red will be removed, once the building goes up.

Looks good to me. Very Northern-Germany / The Netherlands. What often gets lost in the 'they don't design em' like they used to' hogwash is that we not only knew how to do excellent object buildings, but Fabrik ones too. This is a sharp little structure that will gently recede into the background with time and further intensification.

Great infill. There are more than a few members here that would likely suffer from aneurysm living in 1860s Paris.

But Paris is so old and pretty!!1

Seriously though, this looks pretty good, nice infill indeed. Though that rendering makes me excited for the possibilities at the SW corner there, due to the unique wedge shaped lot. That building can go anytime as far as I'm concerned.

Great infill. There are more than a few members here that would likely suffer from aneurysm living in 1860s Paris.

But as they never will, there are no aneurysms to be had.

I'm only so-so on this proposal. Nothing exciting. Goes against what the secondary plan allows, but who gives a crap about city planning these days?

I'm only so-so on this proposal. Nothing exciting. Goes against what the secondary plan allows, but who gives a crap about city planning these days?

If the effect of the plan is to prevent proposals like this from happening, then to hell with the plan. This stretch of Richmond doesn't really have any character or interest worth preserving. It's sparse and desolate. What is to be achieved by cutting down this proposal? Is the plan so inflexible and short-sighted?

...just crossin' those i's and dottin' those t's eh Gristle?

If the effect of the plan is to prevent proposals like this from happening, then to hell with the plan. This stretch of Richmond doesn't really have any character or interest worth preserving. It's sparse and desolate. What is to be achieved by cutting down this proposal? Is the plan so inflexible and short-sighted?

The issue isn't preservation, but planning. Anyway, don't worry, I'm sure the developer and his lawyer have slammed shut their lunch boxes and are stomping off to the OMB.

But Paris is so old and pretty!!1

Seriously though, this looks pretty good, nice infill indeed. Though that rendering makes me excited for the possibilities at the SW corner there, due to the unique wedge shaped lot. That building can go anytime as far as I'm concerned.

i don't think that will ever happen b/c if you look at the building just south of the wedge, you will notice windows facing north.
from the looks of it, both buildings are built to the property lines .... unless someone buys both properties and tears down the nice victorian commercial building. :(

i don't think that will ever happen b/c if you look at the building just south of the wedge, you will notice windows facing north.
from the looks of it, both buildings are built to the property lines .... unless someone buys both properties and tears down the nice victorian commercial building. :(

Someone with better knowledge of building bylaws can probably confirm, but I believe something can be built as long as it doesn't touch the property line. There'd be a small space between the buildings, and I think a the south face of a new structure would be a partially windowless firewall. Example, Charlie beside the Hudson at King and Spadina.

A Toronto condo hemmed in by heritage

The Fabrik site is located in a gritty, former workshop and warehousing patch of central Toronto that the city has targeted for redevelopment since the 1990s. This encouragement of property-owners to gentrify, however, has come with a proviso: that new construction in the district sing in harmony with the old brick-and-beam structures round about. (It hasn’t always done so, by the way: Residential developers have recently gotten away with multi-unit designs varying across the stylistic spectrum from a kind of awful baroque to Art Deco and some quite decent modernism.)

Menkes Developments, at least in the case of Fabrik, has tried to honour the city’s architectural intentions for the zone, and Mr. Giannone has designed accordingly. The grid-like face of the building’s 11-storey podium, which is framed with embossed precast concrete, is a respectful nod to all the century-old warehouse façades in the neighbourhood.

More.....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...o-condo-hemmed-in-by-heritage/article2347481/

Back