Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I personally find that projects that integrate older buildings/reference the site (i.e. following a curve in the road) are usually far more interesting than buildings that choose to clear out the slate and start fresh.

I personally find that projects that integrate older buildings/reference the site (i.e. following a curve in the road) are usually far more interesting than buildings that choose to clear out the slate and start fresh.

Only sometimes - Scotia Bank and the old TSE would be examples of what not to do.

AoD

I'm all for higher caliber office towers, and lord knows this city could use some more daring properties, but that restoration is flaw-less. That door archway is immaculate and the crown treatment really shows the colour that art-deco projects strove for in their time. It's hardly fair to lump this in as a simple facadism.

I always liked Hume, but found that in the final few years of his career he did become uncompromising and a purist. He was more concerned with principle than actual effect. To say this project has "zero architectural integrity", full stop, simply demonstrates that he has decided that he is most comfortable taking extreme positions than actually providing thoughtful comment.

b7f50004-c841-423e-a405-5fbe60356f0c_zpsqshcqszi.jpg

I always liked Hume, but found that in the final few years of his career he did become uncompromising and a purist. He was more concerned with principle than actual effect. To say this project has "zero architectural integrity", full stop, simply demonstrates that he has decided that he is most comfortable taking extreme positions than actually providing thoughtful comment.

I like Hume too. But I fail to really understand his rather harsh commentary here. I think this is one of the most spectacular, practical and beautiful projects downtown. During my last visit to Toronto, I walked past the future
underground PATH entrance to this building. I am looking forward to seeing how it integrates with PATH.

I hope more buildings will adopt this model.

Back