Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

IMG_1947.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 845
To make thing change, there most be a beginning at all.
I hope to see more tower like Ey tower or union centre and less boxy tower.
Architecture is a good way to judge a city. And if toronto should be judged by it architecture, we would have a very bad rate. Go to see Dubai, Shanghai , Melbourne or Montreal construction and you will see there is a terrible problem.

Your choices there are proof positive architecture is not a good way to judge a city as architecture has become highly subjective to the individual while knowing what good architecture actually is has been all but lost. You seem to rate architecture on its flashiness but, that's a hollow, restrictive way to look at architecture.

Your choices there are proof positive architecture is not a good way to judge a city as architecture has become highly subjective to the individual while knowing what good architecture actually is has been all but lost. You seem to rate architecture on its flashiness but, that's a hollow, restrictive way to look at architecture.

Indeed..I think Dubai looks overwhelmingly tacky, as with some of the newer buildings in Shanghai.

Australian architecture is extremely tacky as well. They do have a lot more gems partly to being more open to international corporations but, I wouldn't do that trade. I don't get Montreal at all. The only tower that stands out to me is the upcoming National Film Board building. L'Avenue is Page + Steele with curtianwall and Icone is a complete joke. The rest are pretty much boxes.

Not to say I wouldn't like to see Toronto builders to think a little more outside the box. Considering the huge breadth of buildings being erected in the city there are few that truly shine or are of notable architectural merit. There are a lot of 'anywhere' buildings being erected, overwhelmingly they just appease and reflect the bottom line. This has certainly been true in the recent office stock. Moving away from the this towards some more thoughtful and complex designs, such as in London, would really help Toronto turn the corner. I think the Foster building at Y/B has potential to add a design of more international quality to the cityscape.

Sept 5
Late to the show, but this turning out to be one of the not run of the mill projects and wish it was higher. More up on site
29644704102_5c48274a8c_h.jpg

29131560403_93f73de3b1_h.jpg

29674674901_92748ffaf9_h.jpg

29674396791_f1590df90e_h.jpg

29131282923_bc3c0c953f_h.jpg

29464471000_e935e65d2a_h.jpg

29718635156_d8d0dd7387_h.jpg

29129118473_ce14c29e08_h.jpg

29127045474_8c747d3de7_h.jpg

29127042034_1e0e5e551a_h.jpg

29754191555_4b340e5c77_h.jpg

The interesting thing with regard to architecture quality or design and Toronto is that Toronto is and is increasingly a major centre of asset management and ownership. A lot of commercial and other assets and projects that are going up in the cities mentioned and other major world cities are projects owned or managed by the same people and organizations that inhabit those boring boxes in Toronto such as our major pension funds, REITS, and financial institutions such as Brookfield.

Not to say I wouldn't like to see Toronto builders to think a little more outside the box. Considering the huge breadth of buildings being erected in the city there are few that truly shine or are of notable architectural merit. There are a lot of 'anywhere' buildings being erected, overwhelmingly they just appease and reflect the bottom line. This has certainly been true in the recent office stock. Moving away from the this towards some more thoughtful and complex designs, such as in London, would really help Toronto turn the corner. I think the Foster building at Y/B has potential to add a design of more international quality to the cityscape.

Of course it would be great to see some London rub off on Toronto however, Canadians tend to be very prudent investors. For this reason, anonymity is the better course than trying something "notable" without the necessary budget. Even the Foster isn't looking as good as it once did and we're still on the rendering phase.

Undoubtedly that is true, a tendency to be more conservative aesthetically I would say also. But there are a few notables- Absolute was certainly a project that sought to break the mold.

Back