News   Apr 16, 2024
 562     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 440     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 797     0 

Toronto Expo 2025

I'm fairly confident in the Portlands redevelopment. There's substantial developer interest, and Waterfront Toronto is quite competent at achieving our waterfront goals. The only thing I have a big doubt about is the arrival of the East Bayfront LRT.

One only has to look at how much the Waterfront Toronto plans were scaled back (either in timeline or in scope) after the 2008 Olympics were awarded to Beijing instead of Toronto. Yes, they did eventually happen, but the timeline was much slower, and they didn't have nearly as much funding available to them as they would have had that bid been successful.

I think Expo is a bit different though. Before we had a big plan that had to be scaled down after a failed bid. This time we have a pretty substantial plan that would need to be scaled up in the event of a successful bid. Tighter timelines and increased attention would mean more funding for a grander plan. It would certainly push the East Bayfront LRT from the "yeah, we'll get around to it" column to the "holy crap we need to get on this" column.

One only has to look at how much the Waterfront Toronto plans were scaled back (either in timeline or in scope) after the 2008 Olympics were awarded to Beijing instead of Toronto. Yes, they did eventually happen, but the timeline was much slower, and they didn't have nearly as much funding available to them as they would have had that bid been successful.

On the bright side, not hosting the Olympics means that we didn't get a bunch of giant sports venues on our waterfront. Instead we built a real neighbourhood.

On the bright side, not hosting the Olympics means that we didn't get a bunch of giant sports venues on our waterfront. Instead we built a real neighbourhood.
How insensitive of you. Those sports stadiums could have housed the homeless!

Just take a look at Houston and how its Astrodome housed refugees from New Orleans. Even the Superdome in New Orleans housed those made homeless by Hurricane Katrina.
I was being facetious, in a Frank Drebin kind of way, but, touché.

Makes sense. Council has solved all our transit, social housing and infrastructure deficits, so it only makes sense for Toronto to crown its triumphs with a World Class exposition.

Makes sense. Council has solved all our transit, social housing and infrastructure deficits, ...

You can wait 10,000 years and those still won't be solved. Lets have a bit of fun while we wait.

Okay, I don't want to take a position of for or against on this. I'm more interested is what people think is achievable. What would be your vision of a World's Fair in the Port Lands? For me the ideal is Central Park in New York, as much for the neighborhoods and architecture surrounding the park as for the variety of landscapes within the park itself: lakes, gardens, rocky outcrops, bridges and follies, etc. Would something on that scale (an ultra-modern version of course, involving naturalization of the Don and LEED certified architecture) be possible in Toronto? Given that a substantial portion of it will be on the water, it might be more like Chicago's Millennium Park.

I sometimes wish in addition to the 2015 Pan Am Games, that Toronto had bid on and won the 1990 Commonwealth Games (i/o Auckland), won its 1996 Olympic bid (i/o Atlanta), and its 2000 Expo Bid (i/o Hanover), followed lastly by winning the planned bid for the 2026 World Cup.

Then, once and for all, at least until the 2040s, we could stop the needless pursuit of international acclaim through global circuses and the unhealthy dependence we place on them as means to address infrastructural and identity deficits.

Last edited:
Waterfront Toronto, incrementally on its own, through condo development and small privately paid for public parks, has not so far been able provide a public park and public amenities on the scale of places like Central Park or Mount Royal Park. Governments have stopped making these public investments that all can enjoy, regardless of social class. Man does not live on bread alone. We need places for the public to enjoy. Not everyone can afford a half million dollar condo with a lake view. I'm not sure how you propose to address all the infrastructure deficits. We need more than roads and bits of subway that take decades to build. That's it. I don't believe that dumbing the argument down to the "Bread, Not Circuses" debate resolves the question of whether a bid for a World's Fair is worthwhile. The question is, Could a World's Fair make a difference to the quality of life for Torontonians? How? What is the vision?

Any New Yorker can tell you the value of Central Park and the Museum Mile on 5th Ave., which includes the Met, one of the world's greatest museums that allows visitors to pay nothing if they discern that they cannot afford admission. Don't underestimate the value of public cultural and recreational attractions. Toronto doesn't have enough of them. High Park is not downtown. A World's Fair doesn't have to work at cross purposes with plans already in the works. Waterfront Toronto would remain at the heart of planning any grand public project. I also suggest attracting as much private sponsorship as possible. Something tells me that leaving development of this massive lakeside brownfield to condo developers will be a missed opportunity, probably the last chance for the city to get it right on a large scale. If you want something truly special, much larger than the sum of its parts, government has to intervene.

Last edited:
Waterfront Toronto, incrementally on its own, through condo development and small privately paid for public parks, has not so far been able provide a public park and public amenities on the scale of places like Central Park or Mount Royal Park..
Yes, but wishing upon a global event to get that done isn't helping.

The land south of the Gardiner should have been made into green space, akin to Chicago's waterfront, where you would have been able to see the lake from Lakeshore bvld. Instead we cleaned up the land and built a wall of condos, a college and office space. But besides, the best parks, like in Manhattan's Central Park aren't on the waterfront peripheries, but are smack dab in middle of the city. To do that today, we'd need to expropriate the Eaton Centre, or Nathan Phillips Square plus old City Hall.

Group pushing for Toronto 2025 Expo encouraged by Trudeau letter

From link:

A group pushing for a 2025 Toronto Expo is encouraged after Justin Trudeau said Ottawa is ready to “explore next steps” should city council bid to host the event.

Mayor John Tory and members of Expo 2025 Canada wrote to the prime minister in March asking Canada to rejoin the Bureau International des Expositions, the body overseeing world Expos the previous Harper government withdrew from.

The local group on Monday released a responding letter from Trudeau saying “our government is prepared to take next steps” should Toronto submit a bid for the 2025 world’s fair.

See the letter at this link.

Back