News   Mar 28, 2024
 974     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 547     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 841     0 

Toronto Expo 2025

Total cost for Expo was forecast at up to $13.5 billion, compared to $17.1 billion for the Olympics.

Two is a couple. Three is a few. Therefore the olympics are estimated to cost a few billion more than an expo not "many" billion more.

Important to keep in mind those figures are maximums from the EY report - for all intents and purposes, they are for indicative purposes since it's really presented as a range.

AoD

Total cost for Expo was forecast at up to $13.5 billion, compared to $17.1 billion for the Olympics.

Two is a couple. Three is a few. Therefore the olympics are estimated to cost a few billion more than an expo not "many" billion more.
At least it's a realistic Olympics budget.

The other - more important - figure is the estimated net cost to taxpayers

Expo 67 opened April 27, 1967 and closed October 29, 1967. In Montreal, the mean average temperature in April is 6.4° and in October it is 8.5°.

In Toronto, April is 7.9° and October is 10.7°. So climate wise, Toronto is warmer than Montreal for outdoor visitors.

I don't think we're going to rejoin International Exhibitions Bureau anytime soon. There doesn't seem to be any public or political support for hosting an Expo; ask anyone on the street if they have hear of Milan Expo 2015 and I guarantee you'll have people looking puzzled, asking what that is.

ask anyone on the street if they have hear of Milan Expo 2015 and I guarantee you'll have people looking puzzled, asking what that is.

True, but then again if you ask your average Torontonian if they've heard of any other international event being held in 10 years, they'd be puzzled,
truthfully, most wouldnt even be able to tell you whats being held here annually..

True, but then again if you ask your average Torontonian if they've heard of any other international event being held in 10 years, they'd be puzzled,
truthfully, most wouldnt even be able to tell you whats being held here annually..

Good point, but if we want an Expo again, there has to be a public campaign for its awareness. People in Toronto only knew of the Pan-Am games because every news outlets like the Toronto Star and the CBC ran a near constant coverage with Pan-Am stories that I'm surprised the image of Patchi hasn't burned in the back of peoples retinas yet.

How is the lack of awareness in an Expo bid any different than the lack of awareness in the Pan Am bid before Toronto won the right to host 2015? Im sure if you had asked anyone on the street about Guadalajara 2011, they would look puzzled and ask what that was.

How is the lack of awareness in an Expo bid any different than the lack of awareness in the Pan Am bid before Toronto won the right to host 2015? Im sure if you had asked anyone on the street about Guadalajara 2011, they would look puzzled and ask what that was.

Because we had a big PR campaign, we sold this as new infrastructure (that we needed anyways), great parties (that we have every year), and a world class event (even thought it's 1/4 of the world), but it's was a stepping stone to the grander prize, the Olympics. And in the end, when that didn't work, we just told everyone to "shut-up and be happy".

Another problem is Canada isn't part of the International Exhibitions Bureau, we have to still convince the Federal government to sign back up so we can even contempt making a bid.

Because we had a big PR campaign, we sold this as new infrastructure (that we needed anyways), great parties (that we have every year), and a world class event (even thought it's 1/4 of the world), but it's was a stepping stone to the grander prize, the Olympics. And in the end, when that didn't work, we just told everyone to "shut-up and be happy".

Another problem is Canada isn't part of the International Exhibitions Bureau, we have to still convince the Federal government to sign back up so we can even contempt making a bid.

The big PR campaign comes after the decision to run, not before.

I agree though, joining the IEB is the first step required. I don't think it will be an issue though considering Harper's days are numbered.

I'm just back from the Milano Expo and while it was an enjoyable enough day, I didn't come away really seeing the point in it all.

It seemed more like a forum for insecure countries to grandstand and for secure countries to either do very little or not attend at all.

I'm just back from the Milano Expo and while it was an enjoyable enough day, I didn't come away really seeing the point in it all.

It seemed more like a forum for insecure countries to grandstand and for secure countries to either do very little or not attend at all.

So, pretty much like the Olympics?

I also just recently visited Milan 2015. More or less a waste of time.

I had travelled to the area without realizing Expo2015 was even there and was sold on it as a massive food festival.

Unfortunately, between the high ticket price and expensive food costs I felt like the whole thing was pointless. Why build a temporary village (with admittedly nice facilities) to sell food?

The entire Expo thing needs to be rethought IMO. All I could think of seeing these absurd pavilions from Moldova and Angola is that they would be better off spending the money to make their own countries less awful. The Pavilions seemed totally unaware of how ridiculous they were, such as Hungary's Colonel Ripper-esque and cheekily racist motto, "From the Purest Source."

I don't see what Expo 2025 could do for Toronto that we don't already do.

Last edited:
Until Toronto's interest, I didn't think these things still happened. Seems like a very mid-century kind of thing to do.

Back