Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Ok, so Bazis EmeraldPark TTC entrance finally pass fire safety inspection,.....

And now there's still more fire alarm testing,.... arghhh,.... if I opened up a store at EmeraldPark mall selling ear-plugs, I'd be rich!!!

IMG_4716.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 8,376
Ok, so Bazis EmeraldPark TTC entrance finally pass fire safety inspection,.....

And now there's still more fire alarm testing,.... arghhh,.... if I opened up a store at EmeraldPark mall selling ear-plugs, I'd be rich!!!

View attachment 96783

I'm pretty sure all condo buildings have monthly fire alarm testing. I know mine does, and usually on the first or second Tuesday? There's also monthly generator tests too where the elevators are stopped for a short period of time.

Apparently last Wednesday, they passed the walk-through with fire-safety inspection. Hoarding taken down on Friday by developer but 3/4 of both set of TTC fire doors locked by TTC - Weekend and Monday all unlocked. Monday had "monthly" fire inspection,... and I'm hearing EmeraldPark fire alarms also went off Tuesday morning around 8:30am.

They still need Building Inspector to do final inspection for Occupancy Permit. There are still issues with handicap accessible doors missing push buttons or need to push button and manually unlock door! Missing handrails on wall violates TTC standards. Throughout the last 2 months or so with all the extra pressure Bazis was getting from TTC, city staff and councillor Filion to get their EmeraldPark TTC entrance up to standards and opened,.... Bazis folks requested "that they be allowed to open early for the benefit of everyone and they'll take care of those minor issues later". The problem is if that happens the city loses leverage to get Bazis to deliver a safe entrance that meets fire safety standards, city & ontario building codes and TTC standards.

TTC can not allow entrance to be open due to TTC customer safety and liability issues. So TTC locked their fire doors and block entrance with tape.
IMG_4961.JPG

Anyways, as you can tell TTC, City and Councillor Filion are now fed up and pissed,... and our favourite personal cell phone number for you know who is being posted again! 416-471-0912,... call and call often!
IMG_4952.JPG

Going from TTC side to EmeraldPark these fire doors are push-bar to open thus not lockable. Going from EmeraldPark side to TTC side, can't turn handle because all fire doors are locked,.... but they didn't power off the handicap access button which automatically unlock and open handicap accessible door! Hmmm,.....
IMG_4881.JPG

Too bad since it seems foot traffic at EmeraldPark mall was picking up since Friday when EmeraldPark TTC entrance opened,....

Attachments

• IMG_4961.JPG
    IMG_4961.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 771
  • IMG_4952.JPG
    IMG_4952.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 747
  • IMG_4881.JPG
    IMG_4881.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 793
We walked through the food court last evening. It was awesome NOT to see yet another batch of Subway and A&W restaurants. Instead, lots of diverse and unique offerings, and it smelled amazing.

Unfortunately, we had already eaten, and it looked like many were starting to close up for the day. But we're planning to go back and start sampling the different offerings.

Hopefully this mall can get it together and help these operators succeed. I'm not even sure if many people around here even know they are there yet.

With the community centre opening this year it should help the visibility of the restaurants too.

Shouldn't TTC also be working on making the Anndale/Poyntz Yonge Line entry handicap accessible? Say someone in a wheelchair goes down, won't they be left stuck as there is only turnstile entry? The new TTC Presto Fare Gates at North York Centre would work.

Has the City considered enforcing Develops to ensure their Community Benefits are completed before a Condominium's closing? Is this reasonable to ask of Developers?

Much of the caution tape has been torn up by this morning. Unsurprisingly, the public is fed up too. Someone's incompetence is shining through this mess so please, at least post a sign explaining what is going on !

Shouldn't TTC also be working on making the Anndale/Poyntz Yonge Line entry handicap accessible? Say someone in a wheelchair goes down, won't they be left stuck as there is only turnstile entry? The new TTC Presto Fare Gates at North York Centre would work.

New fare gates should be coming sometime this year, assuming that the TTC has some interest in sticking to its Presto timeline.

I don't think the Anndale/Poyntz entance will ever be accessible, and I assume that the TTC is going to fix the wheelchair badge on the Emerald Park entrance sign if they haven't already. What makes a big difference though is that it's step-free with the Emerald Park entrance. Someone who can stand on the escalator but can't use a staircase can now use the Poyntz entrance/exit.

Has the City considered enforcing Develops to ensure their Community Benefits are completed before a Condominium's closing?

The subway entrance isn't considered a community benefit AFAIK. It's built with the intent of returning a profit to the developer.

I don't think the Anndale/Poyntz entance will ever be accessible, and I assume that the TTC is going to fix the wheelchair badge on the Emerald Park entrance sign if they haven't already.

Since SheppardCentre entrance and new HullmarkCentre NorthTower entrance are both fully accessible,... problem is poor attitude of some folks "so tell them to go cross the street, walk over and use those entrances". Hmmmm,....

Oh, you're being soooo negative. Even I could see the TTC Anndale/Poyntz entrance from Yonge platform to concourse-level being full handicap accessible along with Tridel HullmarkCentre SouthTower TTC entrance from concourse-level to street-level being full handicap accessible (Bazis EmeraldPark TTC entrance from concourse-level to street-level already is),.... in about 10-20 years. So hopefully, Bazis saved all those handicap accessible signage they had to replace,.... they'll probably need them in 10 years or so.

I don't think the Anndale/Poyntz entance will ever be accessible, and I assume that the TTC is going to fix the wheelchair badge on the Emerald Park entrance sign if they haven't already. What makes a big difference though is that it's step-free with the Emerald Park entrance. Someone who can stand on the escalator but can't use a staircase can now use the Poyntz entrance/exit.

Sounds like you're describing someone with a cane or walker or frail,... too bad they'll still have difficulty reaching the elevator right by the door,... since these doors are still missing the handicap accessible button! If you look carefully, you can see that they put the handicap accessible buttons on the inside for both doors,.... but not on the outside!!! And folks wonder Bazis still can't meet City & TTC standards to pass final building inspection for occupancy permit. Photo below also shows how pedestrian sidewalk ramps up to step-free doorway.

IMG_5083.JPG

Benefit of presto fare gates at Poyntz/Anndale entrance is that it'll allow stroller and bikes to use this entrance. Strollers are important since demographically Ward 23 has been undergoing a baby-boom for the last decade (local 1-5 year old demographic is 6 folds higher) relative to the rest of Toronto. As for bikes, I lost my battle with TTC/Tridel for bike ramps at HullmarkCentre SouthTower TTC entrance but EmeraldPark elevators will help - interestingly when I made the request for bike ramps it was likely within the lien period so Tridel would have been responsible for the cost,... if viewed as non-compliant with TTC standard for bike ramp on new stairways which it was but TTC rejected it since they don't want bike stuck in their automatic turnstile fare gates,... which will be replaced by presto swing gates!,.... now if TTC puts in bike ramp it'll be at TTC's cost.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...l-kirkor-architects.668/page-103#post-1012292

Between 2008 (development application submitted) to early 2010 (approvals) Bazis EmeraldPark and Tridel HullmarkCentre discussion with CityPlanning and TTC included discussion of fully accessible entrances at Poyntz/Anndale entrance. These developers didn't want to contribute to making these entrances fully accessible since their main marketing focuses on "direct TTC subway connection" not "fully accessible direct TTC subway connection". The hilarious irony is when Bazis EmeraldPark initially posted fully handicap accessibility signage throughout which they had to remove since the concourse to Yonge subway platform level is not fully handicap accessible,.... because Bazis EmeraldPark and Tridel HullmarkCentre didn't want to contribute financially to make these entrance (concourse to subway platform) fully accessible! Cost probably would have been about $1 million,... so half million from each developer.

This handicap accessible signage remaining on elevator from P2 level might be ok since it shows the way out away from the non-handicap accessible TTC entrance.
IMG_5114.JPG

But these two in their P2 parking level is definitely in violation as it implies the TTC subway entrance is fully handicap accessible.
IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

This one on P1 parking level is interesting,.... handicap accessibility signage still there,... but on sign directly behind it, it has already been blacked out. Anyways, how is a wheelchair supposed to roll around those two yellow pylons to get to the fully handicap accessible door???
IMG_5229.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5083.JPG
    IMG_5083.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 736
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 738
  • IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 890
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 671
  • IMG_5229.JPG
    IMG_5229.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Can't say I'm even surprised at this point. A competent developer could probably have started and finished a new tunnel in the time it took for this "finished" tunnel to pass inspections.

I'm betting the Bazis PM is just going to blame TTC for the delays again if anyone calls the number.

Last edited:
I wrote him an email and this was his response:

Everything that our office communicates with any member of the community is instantly published… having said that I will keep my response brief and factual.

The TTC tunnel connection is complete and occupancy was given on January 18th 2017, this information was sent to the TTC who currently controls access into the tunnel connection.

An occupancy certificate was sent to the TTC this week confirming the above. We do not have control on the tunnel entrance as the locks are owned and operated by the TTC.

Thank you,
-Jonathan
Bazis
jonathan@bazis.ca
1700 Langstaff Road. Suite 1003
Concord Ontario L4k 3S3

Back