Toronto Eleven Superior | ?m | 9s | Davies Smith | RAW Design

zFeuPys.jpg

oJjwDBV.jpg

TlVmC8A.jpg

Im liking the use of the light coloured brick on the upper portion of the building. Although it looks like stucco from a distance, Im glad to see the use of brick and minimal amounts of spandrel here. Now, can we just get rid of those awful overhead hydro wires? :mad:

From a week ago…

IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 768
The street-level retail was clearly treated as a cheap afterthought. Very unfortunate for a project that's supposed to be a catalyst for mid-rise development on this avenue.

I'd say that the spandrel panel that will eventually hold signs for the stores is not good looking, and who knows how much of it will be hidden, but I'm not sure how that makes the street retail an afterthought.

The rest of the building looks pretty good. Here's hoping the signage for the stores redeems street level… but that's a pretty tall order given the quality of the majority of signage in this city.

So, this is where I live now. Since last spring. Decent home. The layout is almost perfect given what the space is, though the closet space is brutal (as it is in most of these new builds, I reckon) and of course doesn't quite work for the furniture I have, especially not with my music production set up that takes up tooooo much space. The location's good as I can't live without easy access to trains and with the conveniently-located supermarket, hardware, and post office/pharmacy across the way. The pubs are brutal (I started dreaming of at least mild gentrification within a week of moving in) so I stopped drinking, which is healthy anyway.
The neighbours are mostly excellent....deffo a thousand times better than the dorm-like bordel that was 150 Sudbury Street when I lived there a couple of years ago.
My locker is located on a residential floor as opposed to the garage where contents invariably get dirty as all hell. Lucky for me as it is the only storage room of many that is not in the garage.
A parking stall was included with every unit at purchase which is great for me as I finally don't have to worry about parking my unfortunately mandatory work vehicle for the first time ever.
Management is now decent after a changeover from FirstService (who were useless here and at 150 Sudbury).

The builder however.....same old rubbish. I work in custom construction and the sloppy work here would have us sacked in our industry. The emergency electrification system is a joke...a bad joke. In the event of a power outage there's a generator that runs lights in all common areas and runs the lifts. Power to units is not provided in this case, but truly astonishing and vexing is the fact that all entrances/exits including resident parking access do not get power in this event. All fob controls remain without power and the garage secondary gate (seperating visitor and resident parking) remains without as well. I got locked out of the building last time. Bloody joke, the wiring.
I have lived in multi-unit residential almost everywhere I have lived except on 4 occasions (out of 16 places of residence) and this is by far the only one where I can hear my neighbours clearly. No sound damping in the flooring. No sound damping in the walls. I can hear my upstairs neighbour walking around, their dog scurrying, their bed creaking during fun time. My adjacent neighbours provide TV sound, loud voices and dog barking. First time ever I've experienced it like this and I've lived in all sorts: new condo, old condo, new purpose-rental, old purpose-rental, walk-ups, duplex, etc.

Davies + Smith, you build an inferior product and I'm so glad I'm just a renter and am not paying interest on a mortgage for this sub-standard subdivision-grade rubbish.
That being said, your build isn't as shit as that perpetrated by Urbancorp (please stay bankrupt forever), so I'll give you that.

PS: I'd love to know who built The Residences of the World Trade Ctr at 10 Queens Quay West/10 Yonge Street. If all condos were built to that standard, we'd all be alright. That's also by far the best place I've ever lived.

Last edited:
Yeah, the building is quite cute at street level. I wish the retail units were a bit more interesting than chiropractor/optometrist, insurer, and dentist, but that's a free market and doesn't detract from the aesthetic of the place.
The interior spaces are treated decently as well in terms of design (not in terms of workmanship as aforementioned).

Oh, I forgot to mention something that I absolutely love about this place...high ceilings everywhere! With the exception of the ground and 1st floors all the ceilings are at least 9', including my entire unit excepting the corridor, all the common areas, and the garage. It just feels nicer. I've never had ceilings this high....deffo makes it feel less cramped.

The sound proofing though.....*shakes head in disappointment*

Also, should mention that the thermal transfer from the exterior (I have a balcony) is also the worst I've ever experienced. The floor is cold to a distance of at least a metre and half from the exterior all glass wall. That's a lot when your unit is only ~500ft2.

I remember when I first came to view the place I thought it was perfect in terms of scale and location and design. Of course, with vacancies so low, I always feel harried during viewings and don't take time to properly investigate the workmanship (which will tell you volumes about the build in general). Not that you'd likely ever be able to tell anything about soundproofing during a viewing.

In conclusion, don't go into mortgage debt for a Davies and Smith production unless you'll not be living in it and will be making money off it in the short- to medium-term.

Back