News   Apr 23, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 851     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 478     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Well if they can find someone stupid enough to buy the name - it's easy money made. Afterall, it's just a non-rev generating asset. But what's next, Consumers Distributing...Biway..Woolco.

I see a niche for Consumers Distributing: hawking 1980s nostalgia, especially toys. I think if they opened up a mini-store on Queen west or in Leslieville, they could sell things like Blacktron Lego, Cabbagepatch kids, Original Transformers and Speak and Spells. It would really appeal to the scenester set.

I really don't see much of a future for department stores.

Ditto! High-margin, too-big, depressing decor, not interesting in the slightest. I went into the Bay at Yonge and Queen the other day to go see the Arcadian Court, and had to wander through 7 floors of boring crap being bought and sold by bored people in a boring place. It's such a beautiful building on the outside! Why is it so boring inside? Why isn't it a palace of consumerism like Galeries Lafayette?

Ditto! High-margin, too-big, depressing decor, not interesting in the slightest. I went into the Bay at Yonge and Queen the other day to go see the Arcadian Court, and had to wander through 7 floors of boring crap being bought and sold by bored people in a boring place. It's such a beautiful building on the outside! Why is it so boring inside? Why isn't it a palace of consumerism like Galeries Lafayette?

I agree. When you see old photos of Eatons and Simpsons interiors, it just makes you want to cry. They really understood what it meant to be a destination store. I actually think the Bay at Yonge and Queen isn't a bad store, but for a flagship store the appearance of the interior is incredibly underwhelming.

Aside from their makeup and perfume areas, The Bay and Sears are both pitiful. They sell tired clothing brands, and it's obvious from the stock that they carry that they're only getting items that those brands wouldn't bother selling at their own retail stores. Maybe a discount outlet.

I don't know how the upper levels at Sears survive.

The Bay's home section one level below ground (PATH level) is actually not too bad and they've recently opened a decent (albeit tiny) upscale men's department, but that's amid a sea of Dockers and jumbo 4XL Ralph Lauren, IZOD, and Liz Claiborne crap that nobody buys.

Considering the reputation of Sears, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they revert to the Eatons brand and change it back to more of what it was. Sears isn't known for high end clothing, its honestly known more for its hardware side. Hence the "softer side of Sears" campaign they ran years ago...

The image really never changed in the US, not sure about Canada.

I see a niche for Consumers Distributing: hawking 1980s nostalgia, especially toys. I think if they opened up a mini-store on Queen west or in Leslieville, they could sell things like Blacktron Lego, Cabbagepatch kids, Original Transformers and Speak and Spells. It would really appeal to the scenester set.

Sorta like the Pop Shoppe of retail?

Then again, given the hands-off, pencil-and-ticket Consumers Distributing modus operandi, poetic justice would dictate its being a strict on-line operation now...

I think Consumers Distributing could be a new hit if they had the chance or maybe had a new name. I know many people who personally don't like buying too many things online but if you could order something, and pick it up knowing its in stock, I think it could be a new approach people would take to.

I know I certainly get frustrated going to the mall or a store to look for an item I might have seen on some site only to search and search everywhere for it to no avail.

I don't know how the upper levels at Sears survive.

Didn't they turn the top couple floors into office space a number of years ago? I wouldn't know personally, because I've only ever walked through the store to get to the mall.

Well you're pretty much describing the moribund state of Canadian retailing in general. Department stores can be fantastic, and are in many other major cities. We probably just need a little Yankee ingenuity here, or European cache, to revive the market. Lots of potential.

Eaton's coming back? What became of Simpson's?

Everyone: Interesting topic of the possible return of the department store name EATON'S-if SEARS sells the name to the highest bidder.

Speaking of SEARS-What ever became of SIMPSON'S-or Sears of Canada?
When did that name dissapear?

I wonder if SEARS would like to change the name of the EATON CENTRE to the SEARS CENTRE? Or perhaps the Cadillac-Fairview Centre? Or another naming rights deal? Eaton's may live on-perhaps in name only! LI MIKE

I think Consumers Distributing could be a new hit if they had the chance or maybe had a new name. I know many people who personally don't like buying too many things online but if you could order something, and pick it up knowing its in stock, I think it could be a new approach people would take to.

I know I certainly get frustrated going to the mall or a store to look for an item I might have seen on some site only to search and search everywhere for it to no avail.

I loved Consumers Distributing. It's too bad they weren't around for a few more years; they had a near perfect setup to run a successful internet retail company.

At this point I don't think they could handle the competition.

Everyone: Interesting topic of the possible return of the department store name EATON'S-if SEARS sells the name to the highest bidder.

Speaking of SEARS-What ever became of SIMPSON'S-or Sears of Canada?
When did that name dissapear?

I wonder if SEARS would like to change the name of the EATON CENTRE to the SEARS CENTRE? Or perhaps the Cadillac-Fairview Centre? Or another naming rights deal? Eaton's may live on-perhaps in name only! LI MIKE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_(department_store)

Back