Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I checked today; no, they have a SE entrance, too. But not a NW entrance.

And it seems strangely sterile, without the newsstand or anything...

Iron beams are forming a new structure at the corner where the Eaton Centre Cineplex Odeon entrance used to be.

Does anybody know what's going here?

I noticed that last week too, I noted it under the Retail Odds & Ends thread. The activity is happening where The Misty Mug restaurant was, the Cineplex used to be where Ryerson now stands. I was walking fast & freezing cold when I walked by, but I don't recall any signs or permits indicating what was going on.

Rumours were that this is planned to be a Joey's restaurant, one of a small chain of restaurants in Western Canada.

Not to be confused with Joey's Only, also western-based, but a seafood restaurant chain.

Last edited:
I think this is going to be a "Joey's New World Cuisine" restaurant. The Eaton Centre website says the ETA is spring 2009.

Edit: beaten by Shon while I was double-checking my facts!

This is a good place for a patio. It should enliven the street along that stretch, which is already considerably more lively than it used to be.

^ Indeed. The large JJ Mugg's patio that used to be here was always packed in summer and was a good place to stop by for a drink+snack in the summer. Hopefully the new restaurant provides a similar or better environment.

I believe it'll be an offshoot of Joey Tomato's, which started as a mid-range casual dining place, then as it evolved to become Joey Tomato's Mediterranean Grill, and taking on a more upscale look, with still decent prices. It appears they're now known simply as "Joeys". The food was great back when I went there all the time when I lived out west, and hopefully it's as good today.

http://www.joeysmedgrill.com/

Bobbob is correct, it was JJ Mugs. The Misty Mug used to be on Bloor, east of Yonge Street.

Ah, the fine dining of YD square!

Where's it gonna be tonight, baby? Mr. Greenjeans, Jack Astors or the Pickle Barrel?

Not surprisingly, if you search Google on "Restaurants" + "Times Square" the first hit that pops up advises, Times Square is a popular destination for visitors to New York City, but the area is plagued with mediocre chain restaurants. I guess it is likely the same everywhere.

Back