Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I do wonder how many of the people pining for an Apple store are upset about the Shopper's Drugmart being built at the old Hard Rock Café.

I had a similar thought. For everyone who salivated over the new Uniqlo or a new Apple store, remember that these are chains too. I don't like seeing Pizza Pizza everywhere, but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

I had a similar thought. For everyone who salivated over the new Uniqlo or a new Apple store, remember that these are chains too. I don't like seeing Pizza Pizza everywhere, but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Is the issue chains, or is the issue overrepresentation of certain chains?

AoD

I'd argue the latter and the dangers that monopolies/oligopolies play.

The city has very little that is effective in the policy toolbox for the latter - I am not sure if the city should be playing an explicit role in managing that issue instead of focusing on encouraging/demanding conditions that facilitate a greater variety of retail usage (limiting width of individual storefronts in new developments, etc).

AoD

I do wonder how many of the people pining for an Apple store are upset about the Shopper's Drugmart being built at the old Hard Rock Café.
The irony there is that Hard Rock is also a chain. As a lifelong (Apple's life time, not mine) Apple user, I'm not pining for an Apple store. I much prefer to buy online. But yeah, I'm sad to see an institution (chain or not) like Hard Rock go and be replaced by SDM #38383823387.

dundassqinrain.jpg

Attachments

• dundassqinrain.jpg
    dundassqinrain.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 403
Per that release, construction is slated to begin this month.
my guess is because they didn't want the public's opinion on what it looks like so they just are going to go ahead and do what they want. I'm surprised they have waited this long since they already have walls up in the eaton centre but none of them show what they are going to build there.

Great; too bad they are probably powerless to improve the subway-level link between the two buildings...

Great; too bad they are probably powerless to improve the subway-level link between the two buildings...

Powerless in the sense that they can't dictate the changes they want. But if they ponied up money, I'm sure the City/TTC would be more than willing to discuss. The issue is that dealing with the TTC on subway connections is a soul destroying experience that no building owner wants to suffer through unless they have to, and Cadillac likely does not want to spend money on space it does not own.

Back