Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Being in the industry ; I can 2nd the above; Canadian labour market is very cheap; The Toronto region by far and large has the largest talent pull in the technology sector (yes there's a bit in Vancouver but it pales in comparison).

So counter parts in the states generally get 20-40% more depending on the exact company and location (I'm not factoring currency differences whatsoever, so take that into account and it's even more); To be fair, this is comparing the Toronto market to the most attractive US markets, in no particular order:
Seattle, Austin, SoCal, New York, Boston, ... smaller cities in the US without a large presence of such companies will of course pay less.

I think the above is the key; If Amazon chose to go to a city with very low costs of living and very little talent pool in the industry (relatively speaking) say a Detroit / Cleveland / ..... given it's Amazon, they could afford to pay way-above-average salaries for the area, and with the cost of living being so low ... it would attract talent from all across North America anyway.
^ that's probably their cheapest / best option if the talent pool or wanting to be in an established / cultural / ... city in NA. I think this option could work for them too.

Also, tidbits from the new cover letter:

UPDATED OWNERSHIP First Gulf has acquired additional lands within the City’s Unilever Precinct Study area. These include various strips of land along the rail corridor (municipally addressed as 375 Eastern Avenue and 385 Eastern Avenue) under Don Valley Eastern IV Limited as well as 415 Eastern Avenue under Don Valley Eastern Limited. All of these lands were included within the limits of Official Plan Amendment but were not contained within the limits of either the Zoning By-law Amendment or Draft Plan of Subdivision.

FYI

upload_2017-9-24_23-49-2.png

upload_2017-9-24_23-51-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-24_23-49-2.png
    upload_2017-9-24_23-49-2.png
    781.9 KB · Views: 472
  • upload_2017-9-24_23-51-31.png
    upload_2017-9-24_23-51-31.png
    1 MB · Views: 498
Ok cool, when I worked for the City many moons ago I think there was a Chinese newspaper outfit at 415 Eastern. Believe it's a high end furniture store now or something. All those buildings are very nice, with the City buildings being identical to the old factory bldg 51 Division revamped. Lots of potential with them. And tonight I noticed the old Unilever building with attractive spot lights cast on it. Didn't see them before so I think it's new. Obviously I'm in a minority here, but believe it should be facadectomied into whatever First Gulf does.

And I made this image last week when Canary Wharf was being discussed. I think CW is a shining example of a new downtown/CBD, with a first rate transit system, and what East Harbour and the general Port Lands could very well be likened to if things fall into place. I mean logically and historically it won't, for no other reason than Toronto and the inner GTA having an obscenely disproportionate amount of competing *new* CBDs/downtowns, moreso than anywhere else in the world I believe. And all of them vie for big ticket infrastructure funds that are obviously unavailable to every one of them. But if we are to build yet another new downtown I think EH has the most potential.

Canary Wharf and East Harbour @ 3km elevation.
CanaryWharf+Docklands-vs-EastHarbour+PortLands-3km-elev2.png

Attachments

• CanaryWharf+Docklands-vs-EastHarbour+PortLands-3km-elev2.png
    CanaryWharf+Docklands-vs-EastHarbour+PortLands-3km-elev2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 650
Ok cool, when I worked for the City many moons ago I think there was a Chinese newspaper outfit at 415 Eastern. Believe it's a high end furniture store now or something. All those buildings are very nice, with the City buildings being identical to the old factory bldg 51 Division revamped. Lots of potential with them. And tonight I noticed the old Unilever building with attractive spot lights cast on it. Didn't see them before so I think it's new. Obviously I'm in a minority here, but believe it should be facadectomied into whatever First Gulf does.

And I made this image last week when Canary Wharf was being discussed. I think CW is a shining example of a new downtown/CBD, with a first rate transit system, and what East Harbour and the general Port Lands could very well be likened to if things fall into place. I mean logically and historically it won't, for no other reason than Toronto and the inner GTA having an obscenely disproportionate amount of competing *new* CBDs/downtowns, moreso than anywhere else in the world I believe. And all of them vie for big ticket infrastructure funds that are obviously unavailable to every one of them. But if we are to build yet another new downtown I think EH has the most potential.

Canary Wharf and East Harbour @ 3km elevation.
View attachment 122269
I just think what a dynamic area this has potential to be.

Corktown Common and surrounding area is already being developed, while the East Bayfront is underway. The Gardiner rebuild (as much as I lament that) will open up new parcels of land to development. The Don River naturalization and revitalization of the Lower Don Lands will provide the area with much desired public space and amenities while also opening more lands for development. As East Harbour and the Lower Don Lands proceed, growth will eventually extend south to the Portlands and along Commissioners, Lake Shore, and Eastern towards Leslie Street.

Mickey Mouse’s Home of the Future is Here in Toronto

Mickey Mouse and his Happiest Balloon on Earth visit EDIT

#editdx #MickeyMouseTO

This morning and for the next two mornings, Mickey Mouse will alter the Toronto skyline as the Happiest Balloon on Earth takes flight over the site of EDIT: Expo for Design, Innovation and Technology (www.editdx.org).

Mickey Mouse and his famous hot air balloon have landed in Toronto to celebrate the opening of his new home – ‘Mickey Mouse's Home of the Future’.Mickey’s new home is a fully functional shipping container home, a living space that is inspired by the most beloved Disney character of all time. The project is the result of an OCAD-wide competition challenging students to envision a sustainable, eco-friendly version of Mickey's future home. The winners were given the opportunity to work with Giant Containers on bringing their ambitious ideas to life. Mickey’s new sustainable home will be on-site at EDIT out front of the factory and available for guests to tour as part of the $15 price of admission.

EDIT: Expo for Design, Innovation and Technology, the inaugural biennial festival launched by Design Exchange, Canada’s only design museum, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme, is a 10-day immersive fair taking place in Toronto from September 28 to October 8, 2017. EDIT will showcase how the intersection of design, technology and innovation can change the world through innovative programming including over 50 exhibitions, 125 speakers, and 40 workshops. #editdx

unnamed-1.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 483

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.12.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.12.48 PM.png
    886.8 KB · Views: 494
It's quite possible that for the bid book they're interpreting things more liberally. There have also been outright mistakes caught in the bid book, a couple of them noted in the front page story.

Removing that central plaza is very short sighted and a lost opportunity. In turn if executed properly it could become just as big as Dundas square in terms of impact and draw (not so much the whole advertising and Times Square light).

Back