Toronto East FiftyFive | 83.21m | 24s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Happened to walk by yesterday and looks like the sales centre is nearly ready to go; they were working on it on good Friday. This project is moving fast.

Happened to walk by yesterday and looks like the sales centre is nearly ready to go; they were working on it on good Friday. This project is moving fast.
They were installing the paver's today and couldn't walk-up to the sale office to get a shot of the model building. Its under plastic.

This project was just at the Design Review Panel for the first time. It got a lukewarm reception. Panellists generally like the architecture, but are of the opinion that it represents a bit of an overdevelopment of the site. It includes an 8-storey blank wall on one side of the podium, so while that prepares the building for possible future redevelopment beside it, that did not particularly endear it to the panel.

It was 1 for Refine, 7 for Redesign.

Interesting. King+ Condos nearby has a 9-storey blank wall facing Abby Lane Lofts, where future development is less likely. I suppose they found outweighing positives in that building, then.

I don't know King Plus's history at the DRP, but remember, the DRP can only offer advice, to which it cannot demand compliance.

I'm curious if any members attended this meeting? I only found out about this development this past weekend and really like the layouts. But from below DRP...

I'm confused as what these minutes mean. I'm going to admit I'm a complete with city planning (and related process) noob, but are the commentaries from the above document binding? It looks like they are recommending that the base podium be lowered, which would then lower the tower as well? Has this been incorporated into the design already? Are these recommendations only?, thus the developer can ignore it if they wish? It doesn't appear like anything has changed when I went into the presentation centre this past Saturday.

From what I saw at the centre, I had similar concerns - it's a very tight space, and the poor townhouse beside it is going to get dwarfed and overshadowed. And it's also very close to the parking lot in the east (Berkeley side); should there be a high-rise development there, they would be terribly close together I feel. Ideally, the parking lot would be redeveloped as a park/green space - fat chance I suppose! :( With the Ivory and the new two-tower construction besides it, East United condos on Berkeley, etc., the area is going to get really dense, and some extra park space would be a nice balance.

the area is going to get really dense, and some extra park space would be a nice balance.

Moss Park is big and nearby and in major need for use by locals that aren't in the narcotics business.

Design Review Panel votes are not binding, but they help sway the way the planner and the councillor will treat the application, so developers normally have the architects make changes to try to meet the panel's requests.

It doesn't always happen though, and developers who sense that things are stacking up against them at City Hall but who believe they'll win at the OMB, often try the OMB route for approvals instead.

No idea what's happening here since the DRP hearing.

Moss Park is big and nearby and in major need for use by locals that aren't in the narcotics business.

I think Moss Park is further West enough, and has it's own gentrification issues, that it'll be awhile before it becomes more inviting. In terms of East Fifty-Five, there is the dog park by Adelaide east of Parliament. I don't wander there often though, and so I'm not sure how it'll be able to handle the influx of residents with all these developments. Perhaps as you say, people will "invade" Moss Park as an alternative. Perhaps what Moss Park needs is a dog park (i.e. a no leash required area).

Design Review Panel votes are not binding, but they help sway the way the planner and the councillor will treat the application, so developers normally have the architects make changes to try to meet the panel's requests.

It doesn't always happen though, and developers who sense that things are stacking up against them at City Hall but who believe they'll win at the OMB, often try the OMB route for approvals instead.

No idea what's happening here since the DRP hearing.

Thanks for the info!

I think Moss Park is further West enough, and has it's own gentrification issues, that it'll be awhile before it becomes more inviting. In terms of East Fifty-Five, there is the dog park by Adelaide east of Parliament. I don't wander there often though, and so I'm not sure how it'll be able to handle the influx of residents with all these developments. Perhaps as you say, people will "invade" Moss Park as an alternative. Perhaps what Moss Park needs is a dog park (i.e. a no leash required area).

Why? I fail to see how the need for walking dogs overrules the need for human recreation. There are tennis courts and a baseball court at Moss Park. I wouldn't want either be replaced by a dog park.

You know what is a better solution? Raze the three Moss Park apartment and make a big park. Either that or or better extend north to Dundas - Moss Park will end up a lot cleaner in that case.

Back