Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

One quirk of the building that bugs me is that it is oriented to be parallel to Yonge, while all of its east-west neighbours (including the tower at Yonge-Eglinton Centre) are aligned with Eglinton. Because Yonge is not truly perpendicular to Eglinton at this corner, it means that E Condos is angled relative to its neighbours (you can see that somewhat in steveve's last photo above). It makes for a weird street wall along Eglinton. To be fair, there are elements of the podium that are aligned with Eglinton to mitigate this somewhat near street level, but the overall effect is that E Condos is twisted slightly compared to all the other large buildings around it.

I think this is actually a really good design. The towers line up with the office building and the two condos south of Eglinton, but the street-level parts of the building line up with the buildings on the SE and NW corners.

I think it would have been awkward no matter which way they went (unless they made the tower with a parallelogram floor plate that lined up with both Eglinton and Yonge). But visually, as I'm walking along Eglinton toward Yonge (as I do every weekday), I am always struck by the tower being slightly out-of-kilter relative to everything in its immediate vicinity.

I think it would have been awkward no matter which way they went (unless they made the tower with a parallelogram floor plate that lined up with both Eglinton and Yonge). But visually, as I'm walking along Eglinton toward Yonge (as I do every weekday), I am always struck by the tower being slightly out-of-kilter relative to everything in its immediate vicinity.

That's what I love most about its design! There are virtually no contemporary tall buildings worth their design salt in this area, so I'm glad that at least one new building (I'll go ahead and call it two, thinking of Montgomery Square even at this point in its build) is out-of-kilter with the rest of the area's mediocrity.

One quirk of the building that bugs me is that it is oriented to be parallel to Yonge, while all of its east-west neighbours (including the tower at Yonge-Eglinton Centre) are aligned with Eglinton. Because Yonge is not truly perpendicular to Eglinton at this corner, it means that E Condos is angled relative to its neighbours (you can see that somewhat in steveve's last photo above). It makes for a weird street wall along Eglinton. To be fair, there are elements of the podium that are aligned with Eglinton to mitigate this somewhat near street level, but the overall effect is that E Condos is twisted slightly compared to all the other large buildings around it.

From the perspective where I took the shot, both buildings (RioCan Building and E Condos) actually look like they tilt inwards toward Yonge Street at a similar angle due to perspective. While an illusion, it’s actually quite a neat effect.
The image you all see above was cropped and adjusted so that the horizontal pane lines up with E Condos, which is why it might appear more bothersome.

A few new renders from Norm Li. Looks like the external TTC entrance has been removed entirely in favor of one from inside the building.

norm-li-toronto-rendering-bazis-e-condos-1.jpg

norm-li-toronto-rendering-bazis-e-condos-4.jpg

A few hours ago…

DSC04604.jpg
DSC04606.jpg
DSC04608.jpg
DSC04612.jpg
DSC04615.jpg

DSC04614.jpg
DSC04617.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04604.jpg
    DSC04604.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC04606.jpg
    DSC04606.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC04608.jpg
    DSC04608.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC04612.jpg
    DSC04612.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC04614.jpg
    DSC04614.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC04615.jpg
    DSC04615.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC04617.jpg
    DSC04617.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 404
I am sending that photo to my Uncle (if that's ok with you @steveve?) He lives in Massachusetts but used to visit me as a child at Yonge and Eglinton when I was growing up there. He hasn't been to Toronto in 20 years. I am sure the changes would be fairly shocking to him, across the city, but especially at Y and E. Perhaps, I should wait another 5 years, blurring out the street signs and all and asking him to guess where it is. I grew up one block to the West of Yonge, exactly from the spot that photo was taken, on Albertus. Super random.

E condos is now slightly taller than the Riocan building from my easterly view situated at Allen and Glencairn area. I can see forms above the roofline of Riocan now. 2nd tallest tower in midtown currently.

13E25861-F71B-4BE8-957A-7BEE88593B65.jpeg

Attachments

• 13E25861-F71B-4BE8-957A-7BEE88593B65.jpeg
    13E25861-F71B-4BE8-957A-7BEE88593B65.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 723
Last edited by a moderator:
E condos is now slightly taller than the Riocan building from my easterly view situated at Allen and Glencairn area. I can see forms above the roofline of Riocan now. 2nd tallest tower in midtown currently.

View attachment 124191

It's something to behold. I'm waiting until it gets close to Minto Midtown height before I snap another pic.

Thinking of all the 250m plus buildings on the horizon, that skyline is going to have some drastic additions soon, E Condos included.

Back