Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

Dig-downs has started at both Dundas Square Gardens and Grid. A year ago, I would have never expected Grid to catch up in construction progress to DSQ.

New fence/hoarding posts are going up on Dundas Street for both sites.
IMG_6697-001.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6697-001.JPG
    IMG_6697-001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 542
These two projects will dramatically change Jarvis Street. Will Jarvis continue to be a mini freeway?

Problem with Jarvis is that it is the route that rich people from Midtown drive downtown. There is a reason why it was met with more opposition there than anywhere else in the city.

I think the solution is to make bike lanes more palatable. Eliminate the parking lane, extend the sidewalk and make bike lanes 'grade-separated' by placing them on the sidewalk rather than on the road.

I think the solution is to make bike lanes more palatable. Eliminate the parking lane, extend the sidewalk and make bike lanes 'grade-separated' by placing them on the sidewalk rather than on the road.
Those with long memories may recall that the original EA for the Jarvis streetscape improvements called for widened sidewalks and boulevards, but no bike lane. IIRC, it was changed to the bike lane plan at the 11th hour, so all we ended up with were some lines on the road that could be (relatively) cheaply and easily ripped out with a change in administration. If we had widened the sidewalks as recommended by the EA, we'd have a much more beautiful and functional street today. I'm as much of a bike infrastructure supporter as you'll find, but I can't help thinking that the Jarvis bike lane plan was a huge blunder that will be with us for decades.

This was the original proposal, FYI:
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.57.01 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.57.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.57.01 AM.png
    401 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Back