Toronto DUKE Condos | 25.91m | 7s | TAS | BDP Quadrangle

This building will help revitalize the stretch of Dundas east of Keele St. Right now, there's a women's shelter and subsidized housing in the surrounding blocks. It will be good to bring in more affluent residents to help keep businesses viable.

Passed by this morning, lots going on:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,708
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,679
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,665
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,653
I like this project and the neighbourhood is on the rise. Nice to see this coming along, I remember the floor plans in here were great - Was this development well received by community?

Yup, the Junction is great. In particular, I love the older storefronts that's time has forgotten—the ones with the deep vitrine display windows stand out—there a number of those left here, and so few remaining across the rest of Toronto. Good restaurants, funky shops. I hope it doesn't change too quickly: where once this area was forgotten, I think it now merits a Heritage Conservation District to protect its best assets.

Yup, the Junction is great. In particular, I love the older storefronts that's time has forgotten—the ones with the deep vitrine display windows stand out—there a number of those left here, and so few remaining across the rest of Toronto. Good restaurants, funky shops. I hope it doesn't change too quickly: where once this area was forgotten, I think it now merits a Heritage Conservation District to protect its best assets.

Agreed, I think it's going to change quick though. With "Brewery District" plans, and younger people looking for affordable places to live, I think it's going to liven up rather quickly. I always come through to eat at the Indie Ale House just down the street.

Would you mind posting a Google street view link of one of these vitrine display windows, please? Not sure exactly what that looks like.

How busy is The Junction? It's so far out of the way (unless one lives in the west end). I can't imagine many tourists would know about it, given its periphery location to downtown.

The Junction is not full of tourists, but it is starting to be thronged by locals. It may get a few more tourists in the coming years with gentrification and brewery creep, and more power to it, but I'm not concerned with the tourists really. It's us locals who are seeking out more character-filled areas of town for whom I hope we can save them. Nothing much built post 1960 has done all that well at street level, so here's for identifying the good stuff and trying to save it.

I have done some work on Google Street View, and have a bunch of photos to show, probably more than you need, but there are a bunch of interesting examples.

First, here's the comparison with a flat front (which I am not interested in) from the 60s or 70s on the north side of Dundas:

NonVitrine.jpg

And then, starting on the south side, here are a hole pile of them, some very old, some only moderately old.
Vitrine1.jpg
Vitrine2.jpg

Below, it's the one more hidden by the tree I find interesting:
Vitrine3-4.jpg

Gerhard is intersting in that the ground floor lines up with "Toronto north" whereas Dundas runs on a slant to the grid, and the upper story and rest of the building hugs Dundas.
Vitrine5.jpg

Deep, deep vitrines at Pekota:
Vitrine6.jpg

1930s or 40s here?
Vitrine7-8.jpg

Quite a bit older again, beside something brand new:
Vitrine9.jpg

On the north side, there's this. 40s or 50s?
Vitrine10.jpg

Another incredibly deep one at Safe-Guard. 1920s?
Vitrine11.jpg

Anyway, you get the idea. They aren't everywhere here, but there are lot of them here, from many different decades.

Attachments

• NonVitrine.jpg
    NonVitrine.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 536
  • Vitrine1.jpg
    Vitrine1.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 569
  • Vitrine2.jpg
    Vitrine2.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 546
  • Vitrine3-4.jpg
    Vitrine3-4.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 558
  • Vitrine5.jpg
    Vitrine5.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Vitrine6.jpg
    Vitrine6.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 540
  • Vitrine7-8.jpg
    Vitrine7-8.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 543
  • Vitrine9.jpg
    Vitrine9.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 530
  • Vitrine10.jpg
    Vitrine10.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Vitrine11.jpg
    Vitrine11.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 575
Thanks for posting those. That's what I figured vitrines were, but wasn't sure. They're definitely more interesting than storefronts that are flush with the sidewalk. Is there a specific reason why vitrines were used in the past?

Display more wares in an age when there was less advertising (and advance knowledge of what was in the store). The very oldest of these might even have been set up as the ask-the-shopkeeper-to-hand-it-to-you-from-behind-the-counter type of shopping, so window space was a way of presenting the goods while keeping people's grubby fingers off of them.

Back