Toronto Downtown Data Centre | 38.5m | 4s | Equinix Inc | WZMH

from a week or so ago...
72aca74b-ba4e-4baa-abef-6a7b8ce94ed1_zpssxnh6q7i.jpg

Ugh there is soooo much surface parking in this neighbourhood, still. Pains me. Looking at you, too, Staples.

What were the parking lots for, initially? It feels like at some point in time there was nothing but parking lots and disused buildings there.

Ugh there is soooo much surface parking in this neighbourhood, still. Pains me. Looking at you, too, Staples.

Blame Great Gulf - they've owned that site for ages and have just been sitting on it.

What were the parking lots for, initially? It feels like at some point in time there was nothing but parking lots and disused buildings there.

Parking I would imagine.

I would imagine that building owners back then would prefer a parking lot generating revenue with relatively little upkeep to a disused building generating none (and this would have probably been before the time that industrial conversions were even thought of).

Parking I would imagine.

I would imagine that building owners back then would prefer a parking lot generating revenue with relatively little upkeep to a disused building generating none (and this would have probably been before the time that industrial conversions were even thought of).

Yeah, before the industrial conversions there were basically no destinations in this area. Hence I'm surprised there was demand for parking that they kept razing buildings for more parking.

It may look like surface parking just to the left of Staples - but that's actually the roof of the Porsche dealership

Yeah, before the industrial conversions there were basically no destinations in this area. Hence I'm surprised there was demand for parking that they kept razing buildings for more parking.

There were buildings razed but no every parking lot is the result of a razed building.

Look at it this way: each of those empty lots is a resource for the future development of the city. We are lucky to have these lots.

Interesting. They have always been empty then?

I can't say for certain. The St Lawrence neighbourhood was heavy on the industrial. There were warehouses, manufacturing plants and, tank farms in the general vicinity with plenty of open storage space. The parking lot on Power behind the converted brick warehouse at King and Parliament probably never had anything permanent built there.

Back