Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

As an aside, Ralph Giannone continues to be one of the most charismatic, engaged and genuinely interested architects practicing in the city today.

I recall Giannone Petricone's work on the third phase of IQ Condos on the Queensway was also quite innovative (esp. its podium treatment) when presented earlier this year. Bodes well for what he/she/they may have planned here.

Who started the rumor that Daniels may move their HQ here ? Any truth to that ? I think they currently have offices in downtown Toronto and Mississauga.

Twas I. And I can assure you that was definitely the plan when my info was up to date last year. But who knows now!

Based on my (potentially outdated info.), expect a big-box tenant here across from Sugar Beach.

So, out of curiosity, which venues/large dance clubs will still be present in the greater downtown area once this site is developed? And will the closure of this multi-club venue affect the number of DJs we will see in Toronto? Where will an event like Pride (Parties) take place? This may not be the right thread for this but I wanted to ask....Thanks in advance.

There are still many many clubs downtown ... and new ones opening as well ... but not *large* ones, and keep in mind the trend as of late is for more intimate environments. We don't have anything to be worried about regarding that ...

Having said that, what you are noticing nowadays is many many more clubs opening up in the suburbs (i.e. 905) ... throughout the 905 at that ... so I think long term the amount of clubbing you see taking place downtown will definitely decline (it already has) ... personally I don't think this is a bad thing ... as long is there is still a well established scene, and I think this will be the case.

Keep in mind clubbing != MUSIC ... in the sense that the music scene in Toronto is very very active, and all of this is still downtown, what you see in the 905 are simply clubs ... which again is good !

Good riddance to this hell hole. The management is as sleazy as it can get. They are known to push up the heat of all the washroom taps to force patrons to buy $5 bottles of Nestle water.

Good riddance to this hell hole. The management is as sleazy as it can get. They are known to push up the heat of all the washroom taps to force patrons to buy $5 bottles of Nestle water.

Sleazy management meet free-loading cheapskate clients

Just to confirm this development will be taking up the whole site

MnTtnIZ.jpg

So, out of curiosity, which venues/large dance clubs will still be present in the greater downtown area once this site is developed? And will the closure of this multi-club venue affect the number of DJs we will see in Toronto? Where will an event like Pride (Parties) take place? This may not be the right thread for this but I wanted to ask....Thanks in advance.

Ink (which owns the Guvernment) purchased Sound Academy a while ago and seems to be repositioning it as the "new" Guv.

but not *large* ones, and keep in mind the trend as of late is for more intimate environments. We don't have anything to be worried about regarding that ...

That's not really true. So long as there are people going out, there will always be a need for venues of varying sizes to accommodate the size of the crowd that will come out for certain shows, parties, or events. Dingy basements that hold a hundred people, Skydome-sized arenas that can accommodate tens of thousands, mid-sized concert halls, and larger venues like the Guvernment/Koolhaus that hold a few thousand are all equally necessary.

Keep in mind clubbing != MUSIC ... in the sense that the music scene in Toronto is very very active, and all of this is still downtown, what you see in the 905 are simply clubs ... which again is good !

The Guvernment of course, being the latter. Between the regular schedule of concerts at the Koolhaus and the DJs being showcased in the main room every Saturday, it isn't some generically interchangeable, top 40, Richmond Street-esque doucheteria.

I'm not terribly interested in their booking style anymore, but the Guvernment is still a venerable Toronto institution nonetheless. It's served generations of party-goers over the past couple decades and has been a world-renowned venue for DJs and clubbers alike (it currently sits at #22 on DJmag's top hundred clubs). Its influence on music & culture in Toronto is right up there with the city's other storied establishments of the past half-century like Industry, Twilight Zone, El Mocambo, Lee's Palace, Domino, RPM, Boots, Diamond Club, and so on.

It'll go, perhaps for the best - its glory days have passed and that structure at that site is no longer an appropriate use of the land in today's Toronto - but don't disregard or downplay its legacy as being nothing more than "just a club".

Seems like an odd place for such a large development. It would leave a large space between itself and the next largest development at 1 Yonge.

It also seems unlikely that this will go ahead withe the huge Pinnacle project still mired in paper work and reduced demand for both office and condos.

Im sure it will be a long, long time before this projects goes ahead.

null_zps69866430.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like an odd place for such a large development. It would leave a large space between itself and the next largest development at 1 Yonge.

There were rumours of another very large development at the LCBO site, including a 75-story residential tower. Although nothing has been heard about it for some time now.

Back