Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Scaled model and staff notes the condo tower will have perforated metal balcony railings on levels 4-9, fritted glass balcony railing wraps around on levels above only on the north/west/south sides, clear balcony railing on the east façade.

OCAD to occupy 2nd floor (condo building podium).

The corner notch out is a nice touch

Visual extension of Sugar Beach

Mid-block pedestrian mews

March 12, 2016

Looks like demolition has started on the north building.
20160312_171745.jpg

Love the extension of Sugar Beach! I wish more developers addressed what's around their building like that, it shows they care about the city.

Love the extension of Sugar Beach! I wish more developers addressed what's around their building like that, it shows they care about the city.
Wasn't that always a city requirement for this site, to open up the view corridor to the lake? I recall drawings showing that section of the block as parkland even before Sugar Beach was built.

Sure, but there was no particular requirement to continue the design of Sugar Beach onto the site. I mean, they could have installed vermillion umbrellas there. Or parasols. Or gone with the Denzil Minnan-Wong Canadian Tire ones. It could have been knock-off chaos, or something different entirely on that footprint.

I like that they are "extending" Sugar Beach, but from what I'm seeing so far, it's a really small footprint, and about the only similar feature is the pink umbrellas. I would've liked to see something a bit larger and more related.

I believe they did reach out to the original Sugar Beach designers though, so kudos for that.

I think they do care more. They get involved in the community and seem to really appreciate the arts. They work with artscape etc. I don't think most developers are that interested in the community.

Agreed. Daniels has moved up in my books over the last few years. Not perfect but they're one of the better builders out there.

Mitchell Cohen (the prez) has always been about giving back to the community - whether it's hunger, homelessness, at-risk groups or the arts (Habitat for Humanity, Second Harvest, TIFF, Daniels Spectrum, Artscape, etc.). He's quite an accomplished musician/composer too. And quite often seen around Regent Park, chatting up the locals. Yes indeed, one of the better builders I'd say, and not only interested in the bottom line.

I like that they are "extending" Sugar Beach, but from what I'm seeing so far, it's a really small footprint, and about the only similar feature is the pink umbrellas. I would've liked to see something a bit larger and more related.

I believe they did reach out to the original Sugar Beach designers though, so kudos for that.

I'm having a tough time completely envisioning the orientation between this, the Sugar Beach extension, and the slated Innovation Centre across the street. From the renderings of the latter, it seems to appear that the Innovation Centre is to sit atop of the northernmost portion of the current Sugar Beach, where I believe there is now a large, landscaped, grass-covered mound.

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 10.04.07 AM.png

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/03/growth-watch-2016-torontos-central-waterfront

The current iteration of that design (though I believe it's in the process of a redesign) looks like it could severely interrupt the flow from the existing Sugar Beach to the Daniels-gifted extension. I wonder if there will be provision in the Innovation Centre redesign to move it eastward or to somehow better integrate it into the current park design.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 10.04.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 10.04.07 AM.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 727

Back