Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

That was amazing. Thanks for that. I've never see anything from the perspective inside the pit..

You're welcome! Special thanks to UT for getting me access. As you can imagine, it was a real thrill to be walking down there as well! I was buzzing with anticipation as I made my way down the tall metal stairwell. My tour guide was kind enough to take me on the roof of the north building (currently starting demolition inside) so I could snap that last pic.

Also amazing that this is where the Guvernment once stood. Gone, gone, gone.

Don't remind me :(

I hope the excavation isn't the most interesting thing about this project. So far it looks like a hulking block will rise blocking a view corridor to Sugar Beach. The tower looks so generic of the Toronto condo type, and could be anywhere. I'm hoping we won't be hearing the " there's no there, there " line , but so far, I'm not holding my breath.

There is just something very ho-hum about this complex. Based on the the renders the street frontage seems tasteful and the tower looks fine. But is 'average' really what we're striving for in the design of a "City of the arts live-work-play-learn-create' complex on a prime piece of waterfront?

You may mock it, but Sugar Beach is pretty damned cool. We need more of that kind of thing on this city's waterfront, not less. Or would you prefer a wall of hulking grey concrete and spandrel-strangled glass?
Oh please slow down, i didn't know there was such a thing as a view corridor considering the Gardiner and Rail Corridor are in the way

@old boy, AG is saying that this isn't going to be a new barrier. Not at street level, anyway. Is your complaint that this will block views of the lake from apartments north of the Gardiner?

I like the office portion of this. Raw does interesting stuff, I think this will turn out just fine. The tower is pretty basic. But if they actually go with that radiating circular pattern on the balcony it could have a pretty neat effect. Not every tower can be for the super rich. And if I'm not mistaken I believe they are marketing this to artists, students and a generall less affluent crowd than many other developers.

We'll just have to wait and see, and hope it turns out as a pleasant surprise, as other projects have surprised from time to time. What I've seen from the renderings, is a nondescript tower on an important piece of near- waterfront real estate just north of Sugar Beach. End of story . Whether it blocks views from apartments north of the Gardiner, or , heaven forbid, from the Gardiner itself, is moot. And, I'm not the developer that's paying for potential niceties in this city.

I like the office portion of this. Raw does interesting stuff, I think this will turn out just fine. The tower is pretty basic. But if they actually go with that radiating circular pattern on the balcony it could have a pretty neat effect. Not every tower can be for the super rich. And if I'm not mistaken I believe they are marketing this to artists, students and a generall less affluent crowd than many other developers.

The Daniels Corp is committed to delivering the radiating pattern in the balcony glass on the tower. It can be achieved through frit easily enough. The best proof of design through frit in the city at the moment is Ryerson's Student Learning Centre windows, which work pretty spectacularly.

Your point that not every tower can be for the super rich is on the mark, and while I'd like to have seen something a little more adventurous in terms of massing of the residential towers, I do think that the radiating frit pattern will go a good ways to making up for the otherwise inexpensive box.

We'll just have to wait and see, and hope it turns out as a pleasant surprise, as other projects have surprised from time to time. What I've seen from the renderings, is a nondescript tower on an important piece of near- waterfront real estate just north of Sugar Beach. End of story . Whether it blocks views from apartments north of the Gardiner, or , heaven forbid, from the Gardiner itself, is moot. And, I'm not the developer that's paying for potential niceties in this city.

Thankfully at ground level we have a lot of attention being paid to the detail here, and that includes a virtual extension of the Sugar Beach Park onto the site by way of the space reclaimed through the truncation of the southwest corner of the complex. Having Claude Cormier, designer of Sugar Beach, also design the triangular slice here too, and using the same pink umbrellas, to my mind not only does not create a barrier to Sugar Beach, but in fact enhances it by extending it further into the city. The proof of course, will only be borne out at the end of the construction process!

Back