Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I've read somewhere that they had to redesign that block to accomodate a larger centre.

On a related note there are some interesting details in the case for support that Artscape prepared for the project, ie. the site location, potential tenants and uses and a proposed timeline to occupancy. That said in this document the proposed size of the cultural and arts centre was 50,000 sq.ft. so it is likely that plans have changed a bit.

Hi Sue here from Artscape, below is the news release we sent out today with information.

Toronto Community Housing, The Daniels Corporation and Artscape are excited to announce that they will be working collaboratively with the local community on the development and operation of a vibrant new arts and cultural centre in Regent Park. The announcement comes on the heels of the commitment made today by the Honourable John Baird, Canada’s Transport and Infrastructure Minister, and the Honourable Aileen Carroll, Minister of Culture for Ontario, on behalf of the Honourable Gerry Phillips, Minister of Energy and Infrastructure for Ontario that the Governments of Canada and Ontario will invest up to $12 million each in a new Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre.

The Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre will be a new multi-tenant arts centre located on Dundas Street East between Sumach and Sackville Streets and will be designed by the award-winning Diamond + Schmitt Architects.

Toronto Community Housing is leading the revitalization of Regent Park. It is a 10-year, $1.5-billion initiative that is transforming the community, creating better places to live and attracting new community amenities like a new community centre, world-class aquatic centre, new central park, retail outlets and now the arts and cultural centre. "The arts and cultural centre, in the heart of the revitalized Regent Park, will be a place where people from all across the city can come together to celebrate the arts, artists and this vibrant and diverse neighbourhood,†said Keiko Nakamura, Acting Chief Executive Officer of Toronto Community Housing. “It is an important part of Toronto Community Housing’s revitalization vision for Regent Park and we are proud to be supporting its realization along with The Daniels Corporation, our development partner, and Artscape as the facility operator.â€

The Daniels Corporation is the development and construction partner for all phases of the Regent Park revitalization plan and will manage the construction of the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre. "The Daniels Corporation is thrilled to lead the construction of this vibrant and essential addition to the Regent Park revitalization.†said Martin Blake, Vice-President, The Daniels Corporation.

Artscape will be responsible for overseeing the development and ongoing operation of the facility. “Regent Park has a rich and diverse cultural heritage and Artscape is delighted to bring it to life as part of the revitalization.†said Tim Jones, President & CEO of Artscape.

The development of a new arts and cultural centre as part of the ongoing revitalization of Regent Park has been a standing ambition for Toronto’s east downtown and a long held aspiration of the Regent Park community. The Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre will anchor culture as a primary driver in the community’s revitalization, both physically and symbolically. The integration and celebration of Regent Park’s cultural richness in the revitalization will play a central role in its success and in the creation of a socially inclusive, livable, healthy, safe and vibrant neighbourhood. Tenants will be selected by an RFP process that will take place in early 2010. The non-profit arts community has already expressed strong interest in the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre.

The Star says : "The centre will be located at 583 Dundas St. East, and is expected to open by March 2011."

583 Dundas East is between Sackville and Sumach - on the south side of Dundas.

Sue, thanks for the contribution. We will love you forever, however, if you pop us a rendering of the proposal.

And an even bigger rendering from TCHC:

http://www.torontohousing.ca/news/20091216/regent_park_arts_cultural_centre_announcement

AoD

Last edited by a moderator:
That's much larger than I imagined! Without wanting to overstate things, am I really looking at an image from the future of Regent Park? Looks beautiful.

I'd love to hear more from Artscape about the proposed programming of the complex. I assume that when they say Tenants will be selected by an RFP process that will take place in early 2010 that the complex will be occupied by a variety of different groups - ie., galleries, performing arts companies, etc.

Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's truly baffling about this rendering is what's powering that streetcar? There aren't any overhead power lines in the rendering. I guess these new streetcars are going to be solar powered and will draw power from the sun?

Where's the street presence? Do I see exactly one door on that rendering? Let's subdivide the street level and rent it out to community/arts groups. Do something to give a little dynamism to the streetscape.

What's truly baffling about this rendering is what's powering that streetcar? There aren't any overhead power lines in the rendering. I guess these new streetcars are going to be solar powered and will draw power from the sun?

To be fair, that stretch of Dundas has pretty inoffensive wires--not totally buried but discreet to a level I'd be ecstatic to see on all of our streetcar streets.

Back