News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

And what if the DRL ends at Danforth and doesn't get extended to Eglinton for another few decades? Or ever?

If our ancestors could have built the Bloor Viaduct with provisions for a subway line that took several decades to come, then I don't see why Don Mills station can't be similarly planned with the future in mind.

If our ancestors could have built the Bloor Viaduct with provisions for a subway line that took several decades to come...

We used it for a subway but it was intended for commuter rail.

Also, we only used half of what was built. The other half, the Rosedale Valley portion which was also built at significant expense, remains unused.

Last edited:
Kennedy Station Design Update Meeting

From this link:

If able to attend, each person should try and make mention about moving the Leslie stop to the south side of Eglinton, and cross-platform stations (rough-in) for the Don Mills interchange.

The other thing I wonder is how they can decide on a Kennedy LRT station when it is unknown where the Kennedy Subway Station will be. In fact, if they say the entire subway extension will undergo an EA and route optimization, they may even consider a route connected to an elevated Eglinton - but of course some decisions that they make now will probably preclude that option.

The other thing I wonder is how they can decide on a Kennedy LRT station when it is unknown where the Kennedy Subway Station will be. In fact, if they say the entire subway extension will undergo an EA and route optimization, they may even consider a route connected to an elevated Eglinton - but of course some decisions that they make now will probably preclude that option.

As much as many of on Urban Toronto have advocated for a elevated LRT on Eglinton I have yet to hear even one TORONTO politician suggest this (metrolinx may have, I cant remember with all the flip flopping). It is on no ones radar and now after making the decision to extend the Subway I am sure no one wants to reopen the debate... There is going to be enough of a debate with the DRL especially when the costs come in...

As much as many of on Urban Toronto have advocated for a elevated LRT on Eglinton I have yet to hear even one TORONTO politician suggest this (metrolinx may have, I cant remember with all the flip flopping). It is on no ones radar and now after making the decision to extend the Subway I am sure no one wants to reopen the debate... There is going to be enough of a debate with the DRL especially when the costs come in...

I have yet to hear a politician oppose the elevated option.

Even though the decision was made to extend the subway, I still have great doubts that it will be built. One side of Council (and the public) wants to reduce costs and use the LRT. The other side wants to extend the subway. If the balance of power changes slightly in the next election, it may be enough to cancel the entire subway idea and go back to LRT. I always thought that a compromise solution would be best to ensure that future delays are minimized.

The south side alignment at Leslie seemed like a reasonable solution and definitely was worth raising at a public meeting. I am not sure if it is important if it has been discussed by the public, or by politicians. This is an opportunity to ask the technical experts why certain aspects of the line were ignored. One would figure they could answer a simple question like that.

One of the best selling points for the DRL would be to show how a grade-separated rapid transit system along Eglinton would be connected to the DRL. Doing Eglinton right would actually help sell the public on the DRL.

Also, keep in mind that there is really nothing that would prevent the line from being elevated in the future - though more care will have to be put into the interchange sites on how to enable that possibility.

AoD

@BurlOak and others.

There is a metrolinx board meeting tomorrow. I might go and bring the elevation option, along with other things up.

The most important thing to raise is the south side alignment at Leslie. Not only does it have over 90% support amoungst UT members, it is the most urgent decision to be made.

I would say the next thing would be to wait with the Don Mills Station until the DRL study determines if the DRL should go up to Don Mills and Eglinton. If that is the case, which I sure hope it is, they should rough in the station now.

The elevated line would be last on the list, partly because it is not yet on the verge of having the contract awarded, and because it is only relevent if the Leslie south side is chosen.

If I had a dime for every time this "elevated" thing comes up...

As soon as Metrolinx produces a report showing that the elevated line is more expensive than the B-D subway extension (even though I think it is more like a quarter of the extra cost), or shows survey with widespread public opposition (even though people in the west end supported the short elevated stretch and the most popular development along the current SRT is next to the elevated portion at STC), THEN I think talk of elevation would die off.

Back