News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 981     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

What do you propose happens to the existing Weston station? Just used for GO service?

Doesn't even GO at Eglinton and Lawrence sound excessive? I would understand RER-type service but those living outside of Toronto would have to add a lot of time to their commute. Once they have this up and running I sure hope everyone outside of Toronto has the ability to choose an express train.

Weston has a surface lot that goes right to the main street. This lot has a lot of potential to reduce the crime and poverty in this neighbourhood. Not be adding more subsidized housing (this area already has a significant amount) but by encouraging the middle class to come back to the area. A lot of downtown areas are over-gentrified. The inner suburbs have the opposite concern and I have not seen strategies executed in Toronto to address these concerns.

Doesn't even GO at Eglinton and Lawrence sound excessive? I would understand RER-type service but those living outside of Toronto would have to add a lot of time to their commute. Once they have this up and running I sure hope everyone outside of Toronto has the ability to choose an express train.

It's a lot of stopping for a GO service, yes.....but just right for a Smart Track style service. If the fourth track is built, express and local services will be feasible and will both do well on this route.

- Paul

TTC will rename Eglinton West station to Cedarvale. "It helps promote the neighbourhood rather than an arterial road,” said Mihevc. The other two interchange stations will retain their original name.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...ecome-cedarvale-station-on-crosstown-lrt.html

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. Why do interchange stations have separate names for the stops on the respective lines? For example, Eglinton West and Cedarvale. Does it not simplify things to just refer to both stops as being the same station? Montreal does this. A quick look at Washinton DC's map shows they also do this. Just seems easier.

Is Toronto's practice a legacy thing?

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. Why do interchange stations have separate names for the stops on the respective lines? For example, Eglinton West and Cedarvale. Does it not simplify things to just refer to both stops as being the same station? Montreal does this. A quick look at Washinton DC's map shows they also do this. Just seems easier.

Toronto does use single names as well, where practical. Look at Kennedy and St. George.

The issue comes up, however, when you have an existing station on an existing line, and convert it into an interchange station. Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge are both holdovers from the fact that the Yonge line was the first line through, and the station was named after the major crossing street - as is the convention. Calling a station "Bloor" doesn't really give any locational reference when the line runs primarily under Bloor St. - thus they appended the "Yonge" to the name.

I don't see any issue with continuing this convention with the Eglinton Line, but apparently Metrolinx does.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's a legacy of inconsistency, yes. As in St George but not Bloor/Yonge.

There will always be key destinations that require learning and memory - What's the station for Sick Kids Hospital? Air Canada Center? L'arc de Triomphe or Buckingham Palace, for that matter? Hopefully wayfinding is intuitive and helpful, but it will never be 100%.

There is no perfect approach, and no approach is wrong. I like a "Use a main street where possible" as the primary rule. Bloor/Yonge works best because each street is central to wayfinding for people on that specific line. Falling back on a landmark or district (if we are not arbitrarily fudging its boundaries) is OK as the alternative. Naming after people is wrong.

I would have picked Strathearn over Cedarvale, it hints at district while being technically a cross street. In my world, Eglinton/Allen is "the place that was technically part of Forest Hill Village, that people bought houses in because they could say they lived in Forest Hill but the prices were much lower". I guess that's a bit long for a subway tile.... Cedarvale is good enough.

- Paul

I like Joe. I went to numerous eglinton LRT meeting and he was at the majority of them advocating for transit.

Remaining distance (excluding Humber and Lea):

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 578
I'm really annoyed at politicians taking the population for idiots. There's nothing confusing about "Eglinton West" or "Eglinton-Yonge". The arrogance...I swear...:mad:

Back