News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Since I guess you weren't around when those original conversations happened.....

The original planning for the line called for Michigan Lefts at almost all of the intersections. By the time they showed that to the public, the response was so overwhelmingly negative that they were removed for the EA.

The line as it is - from Weston to Kennedy - more-or-less follows the EA.

Dan

When you say that the Michigan Lefts were received overwhelmingly negatively by the "public", I can only assume that means a negative reception from drivers. More proof that Toronto put the needs of drivers ahead of the needs of transit riders.

How would Michigan lefts have helped, except in eliminating the nonsensical practice of prioritizing left turning cars over transit vehicles? If anything, it would make the problem worse, from the perspective of the LRT, because now you've just doubled the number of possible collision points. Left turns being given priority is a trivial problem; the far bigger one is idiot motorists that don't look over their shoulder when crossing a tram ROW.

I don't know how to make this problem go away. Rumble strips, maybe?

How would Michigan lefts have helped, except in eliminating the nonsensical practice of prioritizing left turning cars over transit vehicles? If anything, it would make the problem worse, from the perspective of the LRT, because now you've just doubled the number of possible collision points. Left turns being given priority is a trivial problem; the far bigger one is idiot motorists that don't look over their shoulder when crossing a tram ROW.

Get rid of those intersections for carsaltogether.

Anyone would would use the Swift/Credit Union intersection can simply drive 400m to the Sloane intersection
1711672041460.png

1711672123028.png

1711672209242.png

1711672306890.png

Altogether, these 5 left turns are totally unnecessary. Maybe you can have pedestrian crossings but theres no reason why we need to permit these left turns so people can save 3 minutes instead of just making a u-turn at the next arterial or just going around.

Transportation department just has a terminal case of car brain.

When you say that the Michigan Lefts were received overwhelmingly negatively by the "public", I can only assume that means a negative reception from drivers. More proof that Toronto put the needs of drivers ahead of the needs of transit riders.
You can assume whatever you want.

But the people who attended the meetings were a mix of residents, transit users, and other people who cared enough to show up. If you didn't show up when you had the chance....how else do you plan on making your voice heard?

The idea was that the signals at the major intersections was going to be simplified - there would be no need for dedicated left-turn phases, only straight through and right turns.

The Michigan lefts were going to be paired up and signaled, but the signals would be set up so that they would have to wait for an LRV to pass before triggering.

Dan

ION doesn't have the same ATC system, that's one of the reasons it was delayed. Waterloo Region was counting on just using what Crosstown had (which should have had its trains and system in-hand ahead of ION), but the ATC wasn't spec'd yet so Waterloo Region had to go out and source their own. The region unintentionally ended up being the launch customer for the Flexity Freedoms, which is where a lot of ION's delays came from. Not that you'd ever hear Metrolinx / Del Duca fess up to that, they were too busy pointing the finger at Bombardier.
I think you mean some Transit City projects in general and the Sheppard LRT project specifically were supposed to be delivered in advance of ION. AFAIK Crosstown was always being delivered after ION given how long it would take for the tunnelled section.

A video about Laird Station.

Laird, the gateway from pseudo-subway to pseudo-streetcar. Encouraging to see such provisions for changing directions here. We may not get two distinct lines but we have support for unique service patterns on each section!

I think you mean some Transit City projects in general and the Sheppard LRT project specifically were supposed to be delivered in advance of ION. AFAIK Crosstown was always being delivered after ION given how long it would take for the tunnelled section.

The entire project, yes, was going to be later, but trains were supposed to be test lapping at the EMSF under ATC before ION was to begin testing their trains from their own OMSF.

Whether you agree with Michigan Lefts doesn't really matter. The point is that even without them, the LRTs shouldn't have to stop for any lights along the entire grade portion of the line. If it has to stop even once, that is one time too many and will exemplify how Toronto is more concerned about moving cars than it is about moving people.

Eglinton Crosstown LRT April 2024​

UPDATED: Periodic Daytime and Overnight Lane Reductions for Road Restoration Works at Eglinton Station

d2315a00-0de1-404a-8746-2fc6efe91420.png

What Work is Taking Place?

As early as Monday, April 15, 2024, crews at Eglinton Station will be performing road milling, paving, and line painting works at Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. Work will take place during the daytime and overnight. To complete milling, paving, and line painting works safely, eastbound and westbound traffic on Eglinton Avenue will be periodically reduced to one lane in each direction between Duplex Avenue and 55 Eglinton Avenue East. Northbound and southbound traffic on Duplex Avenue will be periodically reduced to one lane in each direction at Eglinton Avenue West. Northbound and southbound traffic on Yonge Street will be periodically reduced to one lane in each direction between Roehampton Avenue and 2221 Yonge Street.​

Updated: Landscaping Restoration Works and Electrical Connections on Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue

7932fe93-fd65-e59b-1b73-6a7e3086fe50.png

Ongoing through until approximately late-July 2024, crews at Eglinton Station will be performing landscaping restoration works and electrical connections on Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. On Eglinton Avenue landscaping restoration activities include planting a mixture of Freeman Maple, Gingko, Kentucky Coffee Tree, and English Oak trees between Duplex Avenue and Holly Street. On Yonge Street landscaping materials include planting Kentucky Coffee Trees, as well a mixture of Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass, north of Eglinton Avenue.​

Periodic Sidewalk Closures on Eglinton Avenue East between Brentcliffe Road and Kennedy Road for Deficiency Repair Work

1fb26742-8586-f21b-4bab-1cf24939872d.png

Through Spring 2024, crews will be continuing with sidewalk deficiency repair works at various locations along Eglinton Avenue East between Brentcliffe Road and Kennedy Road (refer to map).

To facilitate this work safely, short-term sidewalk closures will be in place on Eglinton Avenue East between Brentcliffe Road and Kennedy Road. Temporary pedestrian rerouting around work zones will be in effect. Property access will be maintained at all times.​

Extended: Landscaping Works on Eglinton Avenue East between Brentcliffe Road and Leslie Street

337bbe8e-222b-5641-15bb-f7829611b098.png

Through Spring 2024, crews will be continuing with landscaping restoration activities on the north and south side of Eglinton Avenue East, east of Brentcliffe Road.

To facilitate this work safely, eastbound and westbound traffic on Eglinton Avenue East will be periodically reduced to one through lane between Brentcliffe Road and Leslie Street.

One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times. On the north side of Eglinton Avenue East, landscaping restoration activities include planting approximately 31 large trees (including a mixture of Common Hackberry and Bur Oak), as well as approximately 99 small tree whips (including a mixture of Largetooth Aspen, White Spruce, Black Maple, White Birch, Cockspur Hawthorn, Pin Cherry, Silver Maple, Bitternut Hickory, Black Cherry, Bur Oak, and Eastern White Cedar), and numerous shrubs and small plants.​

Get a behind-the-scenes look of Mount Pleasant and Laird Stations

Ivan Simic, Community Engagement Advisor at Eglinton Crosstown East Office, hosted two fantastic and informative videos about Mount Pleasant and Laird Stations.
Please click here to see the latest behind-the-scenes video about the historic heritage façade at The Eglinton Crosstown's Mount Pleasant Station.

Dream Wheels on Eglinton​

07481af9-689d-a495-6f39-7117a431947a.png

SAVE THE DATE - Saturday, July 27th, 2024

Having made its successful debut in 2023, Dream Wheels on Eglinton is a unique vintage car & bike show in Midtown Toronto featuring a dazzling array of hot rods, muscle cars, and motorcycles along with street vendors, live music, kid's entertainment, glamour pin up contest, beverage garden, awards ceremony and more! Witness the impressive showcase of vehicles and partake in the day's entertainment. The event is in partnership with Toronto Hot Rod Kulture and Road Reapers Car Club in support of the SickKids Foundation. Vendor registration is now open!

https://www.theeglintonway.com/dream-wheels

I call Newfoundland steak on that supposition. My guess is at the earliest we’ll see service begin in spring 2024. Followed by a O-Train like shutdown soon after opening due to some oversight in operations, design or execution.

I call Spring 2024 because the lawsuits between Metrolinx and their contractors need to be settled, which can take months. And then construction work needs to be resumed and completed, followed by post-winter testing and trials.
Well, I guess I was wrong here. Any bets on regular service beginning before autumn?
Whether you agree with Michigan Lefts doesn't really matter. The point is that even without them, the LRTs shouldn't have to stop for any lights along the entire grade portion of the line. If it has to stop even once, that is one time too many and will exemplify how Toronto is more concerned about moving cars than it is about moving people.
I assumed there would be a sensor or switch to know when the LRT is approaching to force all cross lights to red. Is that what ROW literally stands for?

Well, I guess I was wrong here. Any bets on regular service beginning before autumn?

I assumed there would be a sensor or switch to know when the LRT is approaching to force all cross lights to red. Is that what ROW literally stands for?
Not in Toronto

Sometime after Sept 15

Well, that’s stupid. There should be no opportunity whatsoever for the LRTs to be forced to yield to vehicular traffic
He's incorrect about that. There are sensors for detecting trains around the intersections, and there is some connection between the signal system on the surface section and the traffic signals at the intersections.

Dan

Back