Toronto Crosstown LRT: Eglinton Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I don't know if they have or haven't BUT a contractor wanting to make a profit will delay as much as possible while still reaching the deadline to minimize carrying costs on labour. They'll start with the deadline and work backward to determine the latest time when work on a section needs to be started. Of course, if labour is available and has nothing else to do then you put them to work.

I think Yonge is the critical path.
Actually I would say that Eglinton west is more critical as the yard and matanice facility are all in the West end of the city.

Does anyone know if they have begun digging under Eglinton West station yet to connect the two tunnels on either side of it? I know they can't do that at yonge and eglinton until they extract the TBMS but it would make sense for them to be working on the western end at least.

99% sure it hasn't. I pass by there often. Haven't seen any construction activity.

Actually I would say that Eglinton west is more critical as the yard and matanice facility are all in the West end of the city.

Whelp, I checked the documents and the city believed Yonge Station was the critical path; critical path meaning taking the longest time (by several years) to construct and will determine the opening date of the line.

Hopefully it goes smoothly and we don't end up with an Amsterdam Line 52 problem where everything except for Centraal modifications has been done since 2011; Centraal, of course, is by far the most important piece of the line.

Last edited:
Yah, the redevelopment of the entire block is something that I am curious as to how it will play out.

It would have made sense to redevelop the block alongside the station redesign, so that the station would be well-integrated with the site. Instead, it seems like the western entrance facing Eglinton Ave W will be a standalone structure? Seems like either a waste of space/opportunity if it stays like this after the redevelopment, or a waste of money if we raze the entrance after building it and rebuild it integrated with the overall redevelopment.

Does anyone know if they have begun digging under Eglinton West station yet to connect the two tunnels on either side of it? I know they can't do that at yonge and eglinton until they extract the TBMS but it would make sense for them to be working on the western end at least.
From Metrolinx Crosstown updates March 20 2017
http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new/tunnel-invert-concrete-pour-at-allen-rd-and-eglinton
Looks like this is the beginning.

April 3rd:

IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    906.1 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 677
The train shed at Union is totally being heritage protected yet something as important as this station is disappearing without a peep. This station was a very important city building exercise in the early 1950's.

The train shed at Union is totally being heritage protected yet something as important as this station is disappearing without a peep. This station was a very important city building exercise in the early 1950's.

The train shed at Union, like this, is an example of what shouldn't be protected - especially when it stands in the way of greater efficiency, beauty and utility.

AoD

The train shed at Union, like this, is an example of what shouldn't be protected - especially when it stands in the way of greater efficiency, beauty and utility.

AoD
I agree but there are people that think because it's the only remaining train shed of it's type we should preserve it.

I agree but there are people that think because it's the only remaining train shed of it's type we should preserve it.

If everyone else has seen the wisdom of getting rid of this type of train shed, why should we be the ones carrying the can to retain this turkey as the 'only one remaining train shed of its type? Ugly, non-functional, a major impediment to making both operational and esthetic improvements to the Union Station train platform area.

It is decisions like this that to me cast doubt on the integrity and judgement of the entire historical designation process, which unfortunately could then be to the detriment of other structures which are indeed worth preservation.

Back