Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

I'm curious as to where the building's footprint will be

I've sent you a PM, jmacmillan. Just wondering where did you get the pricing?

I just googled Couture Condo and came across someone already selling a unit. I got some more prices from a sales agent today.

John Barber wrote an interesting article in Saturday's Globe about the condo bubble. Here's my addition: Consider that an 845 square foot unit at Radio City started at $237,900 pre-construction. A comparable unit (suite 2C) at the James Cooper Mansion starts at $392,500 presently. Units of all sizes at the X condo appear to have increased by $50,000 from February 10, 2007 to Saturday's (November 24, 2007) 1-day sales event Great Gulf held at the Hazelton Hotel. (source: preview pricing sheets)

Suite
AALTO, 1 bedroom, 518 sq feet, floors 4 to 34, from $197k - now floors 29 to 34, from $290k
MACKINTOSH, 1 bed + den, 593 square feet, floors 35 to 43, from $276k - now floors 36 to 43, from $333k
EAMES, 2 bedroom, 803 square feet, floors 5 to 40, from $304k - now floors 5 to 43, from $356k
MIES, 2 bed + den, 1451 square feet, floors 37 to 40, from $661k - now floors 38 to 43, from $731k
and so on..

Rule of thumb: add $1,000 per floor.

Their sales are still below 70 per cent. And they RAISE prices? Wierd. Hmm, few buyers. Let's just keep raising the prices and make them wish they bought yesterday but happy that tomorrow it will cost a zillion dollars more. (Bet the bank's love this!)

I'm amazed that Monarch did not set back their building further from Jarvis, so that the south-facing units would not be staring at the X condo. (Surpise surprise! The north-facing x-condo suites (Eames) from floors 5 to 43 are unsold.)

Oh! And just to finish my rant. the Couture sales office had no conceptual picture of the finished site. One sales agent said it would be a little deeper than the X condo (i.e., the units on the south-west corner would have a little view directly south). There is to be a courtyard between the Couture condo and Bloorwalk phase one.

Couture Render

A better quality render of Couture is below. It's a safe assumption the street in the foreground is Jarvis, so it gives scale as to where Couture sits in relation to X, which is shaded on the left side of the render.

Presuming it sells and gets built, sitting next to X could make for two very fine looking buildings at this corner.

couture-render_Nov28-07.jpg

Close to Yorkville at affordable price
SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

November 30, 2007

Couture
BUILDERS/DEVELOPERS: Monarch and Philmor Group
SIZE: 557 to 977 square feet
PRICE: $250,000 to mid-$500,000s
SALES CENTRE: by registration only

The cost of an average condominium suite in the fashionable Yorkville district is at the high end of the scale. But it's possible to buy stylish accommodations nearby that don't carry a big sticker price.

A new offering in that category is Couture, a 44-storey building to be built at Bloor and Jarvis streets. It will contain 459 suites priced from $250,000.

"It's a really good location," says Linda Mitchell at Monarch, which was brought on board by Philmor Group to build Couture next to its completed Bloor Walk condominium on Hayden Street.

"Our site is a little bit away from Yorkville, so you're not paying the Yorkville prices, but you certainly have the access," she adds.

The elegant glass tower will also be close to clubs and restaurants on Church Street, the Bloor/Danforth and Yonge subway lines, and attractions such as the Panasonic Theatre and Royal Ontario Museum.

"Out of all our sites, this one certainly has a vibrancy in the neighbourhood that we haven't seen before," Ms. Mitchell says.

Given the range of entertainment venues and other attractions in the area, Couture will have only basic amenities: a gym, saunas and a party room with a caterer's kitchen, bar and billiards table.

Two guest suites and 24-hour concierge will also be available. An indoor pool will be shared with residents of the Bloor Walk building.

As an incentive, buyers will receive 1 per cent off the purchase price until the end of 2007. It's part of a 90-day promotion Monarch is offering at its projects across the Greater Toronto Area to celebrate the company's 90th anniversary.

Suites put on the market just last week range in size from one bedroom to two bedrooms with a den.

A few have traditional layouts, but many feature open living and dining spaces, as well as "linear kitchens," which because the cabinetry, sink and appliances are all located along one wall, feel more spacious.

In some cases, there will be windowless interior bedrooms, but they will have glass sliding doors to let in light. There also are some en suite bathrooms with glass sliding doors to allow a sink and toilet to be partitioned off from a tub or shower.

"We have some innovative and more contemporary design elements, but I always make sure the function is still there," Ms. Mitchell says. "You've still got walk-in closets, enough kitchen space, and areas for computers, dens and work spaces."

Suites will have patios, balconies or terraces, as well as floor-to-ceiling windows offering in many cases panorama views of the CN Tower to the south and the Rosedale Valley ravine to the north.

Interior finishes include laminate floors, 40-ounce broadloom and a choice of porcelain or ceramic tiles in the bathroom.

Kitchens will feature granite countertops and stainless-steel appliances.

Suites on the 22nd floor and above will have nine-foot ceilings in the principal rooms.

Among the standard "green" features are Energy Star-rated appliances, including washing machines, and low-flow showerheads. Also, hydro will be individually metered.

Monthly maintenance fees will be 45 cents a square foot, and parking will cost $35,000.

Move-in dates are scheduled for 2011.

Unless this building is entirely custom designed for the buyers and constructed by hand by petits mains, then I am going to complain to the chambre syndicale de haute couture about the improper name.

Unless this building is entirely custom designed for the buyers and constructed by hand by petits mains, then I am going to complain to the chambre syndicale de haute couture about the improper name.

The name of the building is my least concern. They can call it the A building by all means (but then some people might say the building doesn't look like letter A ;)).
As a purchaser for a new development, my main consideration is the builder, the price, the location, the re-sell value and maybe the architect (as the other member mentioned on this board some time ago).

Call me crazy, but I quite like Couture. The H-shape makes it look like a conglomeration of sliver towers, there's notched-in balconies...it'd look great with white glass (or superclear glass with mandatory white window coverings).

...we also nearly had 'Die hard with a Vengeance' this morning.....let me explain....There were upwards of 14 massive dump trucks parked on Jarvis this morning, all around the Isabella/Wellesley/Carlton stretch, I thought there must be a valid reason(other than someone raiding the vaults of the Keg....)

can anyone throw any light on it? Was it likely for material removal at either Xcondo or Couture ??? Or did the Bank of Canada move their gold deposits to Jarvis Mansions?

Handsome

This building seems handsome enough. Surely it takes it's cue from the nearby Rosedale Glen (1982, Zeidler).
RosedaleGlen1.jpg

Back