News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 869     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Toronto Expo 2025

Milan and I dont know...

However, I have been through Seville, Lisbon, and Shanghai's expo sites and all 3 cities still have tourists flocking to their expo sites. I guess the legacy becomes what you want to make of it. Some Expo sites become nothing but distant memories.

That being said, I don't remember any of their Expo's actually having occurred, and only found out about them hosting past Expo's as a result of my travel to the cities. Expo didn't bring me there, but being there exposed me to the fact that they hosted Expos, and made me seek out their Expo sites.

Milan 2015
Astana (!!) 2017

Having read the 2015 TO Expo proposal, it was an utter yawn. I know KMT is big on it (and pretty much the only public figure who is).

AoD

An Expo would be infinitely times better than hosting an Olympics.

Where would you guys like it to be? I've heard ideas floating around of putting it in the Portlands, though I think it's too early for the Portlands to developed like that. Personally, I want to see Ontario Place revitalized (alongside the Exhibition grounds) into something spectacular, and to see the Waterfront West LRT finally built. If it takes an Expo to do it, then it will be worth it.

Maybe we'd be more interested if we participated. Over 100 pavilions at the Milan2015 Expo but Canada couldn't be bothered.

Probably because the current federal gov't thinks the only thing we have to offer the world is tarsands bitumen.

Sorry I am confused how some would think an expo is better than an olympics. The price looks comparable but the structures are temporary. What is the point? I really don't knowanyting about expos. Even if the olympics cost moreat leastwe get permanen t things like a stadium and aswim pool

For record, this was one option for the aborted Expo 2015 proposal (see attached city report):

upload_2015-8-3_9-32-26.png

Obviously the site plan will be different now that the WT LDL EA/plans are in place.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-3_9-32-26.png
    upload_2015-8-3_9-32-26.png
    1 MB · Views: 737
  • Expo it001.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 665
Sorry I am confused how some would think an expo is better than an olympics. The price looks comparable but the structures are temporary. What is the point? I really don't know anything about expos. Even if the olympics cost moreat leastwe get permanen t things like a stadium and aswim pool
Olympics costs many billions more. (Why do we need another stadium that will be too big for any local sporting events?) And much less $$$$ in security for Expo. The Pan Am Games were safe, but there were often absurd number of police everywhere.

Expo would als0 provide permanent "things". For instance since all the pavillion staff need somewhere to live for 8+ months (set-up, event, tear-down), a big 'village' could be created that would leave behind apartments that could be used by the city. Other infrastructure such as transit, roads, bridges (depending on site) would also remain.

Expo would be open all summer, so it would spread out the tourism (and income from visitors) rather than try to cram everything and everyone into 3 weeks. It could also integrate with the many cultural festivals around the city, so it would benefit many more communities.

Something else I don't understand: now that we have Pan Am Games facilities why not make an immediate request or submission to host those games again ASAP?! Next time would be more efficient and since we've already paid for the pool, velodrome etc we should make use of them again. Plus the organizers, city staff and CBC could take the lessons they learned and do everything better.

Last edited:
My understanding is that there isn't usually a residential component to Expos, and the cost won't be that different from the Olympics (esp. if you add in infrastructure). Ultimately it's a different kind of event, and I think it is weaker in terms of name recognition and worldwide exposure - you can't really "see" it unless you attend in person, unlike the games. Like I have said - just how many Expo host cities can you name from the last oh, 30 years?

That's not to say Expo isn't worth doing - but the impact on the city will be different from the Olympics.

AoD

Last edited:
I saw a cost comparison and thought it was comparable as well. It wasn't "many" billions cheaper. Perhaps a few. In any event it seems like different events but i would guess more people would be familiar with the olympics.

I saw a cost comparison and thought it was comparable as well. It wasn't "many" billions cheaper. Perhaps a few. In any event it seems like different events but i would guess more people would be familiar with the olympics.
How do cost overruns stack up? The Olympic estimate is <$9B but experience says it would be closer to $20B

Total cost for Expo was forecast at up to $13.5 billion, compared to $17.1 billion for the Olympics.

Two is a couple. Three is a few. Therefore the olympics are estimated to cost a few billion more than an expo not "many" billion more.

Back