News   Apr 24, 2024
 621     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

Toronto Expo 2025

I think an Expo could work well if approached somewhat differently: Instead of one huge central location, I'd make it an international 'neighbourhood' event.

Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, as well as a city of neighbourhoods. I think it'd be interesting if the pavilions for each of the respective countries was built in a corresponding neighbourhood in the city. The Greek Pavilion on the Danforth, Italy over on College West, China on Spadina - or Agincourt?, India on Gerrard east, Britain just about anywhere - etc., etc.
In the age of the internet, world's fair's aren't quite what they used to be. I think the days of building a fair from scratch on an isolated site, trying to be impressive and up-to-date in it's own right might be dwindling. A fair that drew from the city and people and neighbourhoods it was surrounded by wouldn't be a kind ready-made artifact - it would be more alive and integrated.
The structures made in each neighbourhood could be built with the neighbourhood's needs in mind beforehand, and be converted to neighbourhood or civic use after the fair has passed.

This way, too, the city itself would become an attraction - and local businesses would benefit hugely, and directly. Instead of cramming people into one zone with overpriced, ersatz food and long lineups, this way if they want some actual 'international' food - they can just walk down a few doors. Or clothing, souvenirs, a drink, to go dancing, whatever.

Quick transit between pavilions would be a big point. It would probably strain the TTC. However, a few small road (or lane) closings with shuttle buses zipping around might take care of that.

I'd still have an inventive central plaza / attraction area for orienting, organizing and generally showing off splashy new things. A fair needs that. Innovations, signature buildings, fun stuff. The Ex grounds would be great for that, as would the Portlands.
Toronto's in a unique position to do something like this, which has really never been done before.

Last edited:
^^ It sounds like the old Caravan festival that used to be held in Toronto every year. My family loved that event. It's too bad they stopped it.

Is it the countries in the Expo that pay for the construction of each pavilion or is it payed by the host city. Who decides on the design of the pavilion?
Did Canada decide on the design of the Canadian pavilion in Shanghai and payed for it? I'm assuming they did.
If that's the case, then the city wouldn't have any control on what gets built other then land and height restrictions.

And here is what happened in Sydney.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...o-count-the-cost/story-e6frg6nf-1225911090997

Speaking as Sydney prepares to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Games, with gold medal winner Cathy Freeman relighting the cauldron on September 15 before thousands of Olympic volunteers, Mr Brown, the managing director of the Tourism and Transport Forum, said the past 10 years had been "a lost decade" for tourism in Sydney and Australia.

"We squandered an opportunity that was given to us by a lot of hard work and taxpayers' money to get the bid by not following through with the momentum," Mr Brown said.

SNORT. Lost decade for Australia? no only for Sydney!

Since the olympics international arrivals (and the sheer number of airlines) has grown by 13% in Melbourne, 15% in Brisbane and............... Sydney has languished in the low single digits. Sydney's still the largest tourism drawcard but both state capitals either side have pulled their fingers out and excelled.

airlines like Cathay, Singapore Air, Malaysian, Thai and Emirates used to only have 1 to 2 flights a day to Melbourne - Cathay are now 3x daily, Singapore 3x daily, Emirates 3x daily, Thai and Malaysian 2x daily, total new entrants like Vietnam airlines, Korean Air and Garuda has started Jakarta as well as improved Denpasar.

Expos are of far more value to a city than just two weeks of fame. Put in a vulgar way: Olympics are like having a quick shot of heroin, Expos are like a drawn out drinking session.

I'm inclined that they get denied to bid for the 2025 World Expo, if only because I am still pissed at Harper for denying Edmonton the approval to bid for the 2017 World Expo. XD

If Toronto wants to bid on the 2024 Olympics, they need to start getting very serious about infrastructure such as the Eglinton LRT to the airport, the elevated portion of the Gardiner Expressway and the DRL

I see that many people commenting on the Toronto Star website do not want the Olympics

Ford has created a culture that we're broke so people -- even his opponents -- see this as a waste of money. We need to get a positive Mayor who can make the city feel good about itself again, ambitious to grow and show itself off to the world.

Even the late Jack Layton, when he was city councillor, opposed the 1996 Olympics bid for Toronto; it went to Atlanta instead. Yet, I still view Layton as a good politician. Therefore, the culture of opposing the Olympics in Toronto is earlier than you think and it can cross political lines. Regarding the Olympics, I am neutral.

If Toronto wants to bid on the 2024 Olympics, they need to start getting very serious about infrastructure such as the Eglinton LRT to the airport, the elevated portion of the Gardiner Expressway and the DRL

By 2024 there will already be a rail link to the airport, so there will be no need to push for Eglinton.
The DRL is entirely dependent on where they choose to put venues. They might locate the arena at Richmond Hill Centre, in which case the Younge Extension will be "the" Subway project.
And don't worry, money to keep the Gardiner standing will come regardless.

Even the late Jack Layton, when he was city councillor, opposed the 1996 Olympics bid for Toronto; it went to Atlanta instead. Yet, I still view Layton as a good politician. Therefore, the culture of opposing the Olympics in Toronto is earlier than you think and it can cross political lines. Regarding the Olympics, I am neutral.

Remember that with Layton and the "NDP municipal left" in the 80s/90s, it tended to be a bread-not-circuses anti-Olympic/anti-World's Fair argument. (And even before his mayoralty, I saw how Rob Ford could strike ironic common-cause with that element in spite of himself.)

Well no bid can be submitted until we regain membership in the Bureau of International Expositions, which doesn't look likely under the current government.

Well no bid can be submitted until we regain membership in the Bureau of International Expositions, which doesn't look likely under the current government.

More interestingly, I am curious how many people uptalking the Expo as an alternative could actually name where the current one is at and 2017 will be held.

AoD

Back