Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

Just because San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid is more "iconic" than the TD Centre doesn't make it better.

Oh, and re "iconic", what's the CN Tower? Chopped liver?

Imagine CityPlace going for the gold in Toronto. They're well known in international circles, but building something iconic next to the CN Tower could be their coup d'etat!

The SkyDome wouldn't have become so famous if it were built up in Downsview. Getting in the photo with the CN Tower is what made it well known around the world.

Imagine CityPlace going for the gold in Toronto. They're well known in international circles, but building something iconic next to the CN Tower could be their coup d'etat!

An 1800 foot Robertson screw?

Of course. The SkyDome had its own merits and the world's first fully retractable stadium roof was at the top... however, I doubt that it would have gotten so much airtime (and photos) outside of baseball had it been built outside of the view of the CN Tower.

Although I would love to see a super tall next to the CN Tower, I can't help but think that it would take away from our skyline. The CN Tower looks so tall -- and it is -- because nothing around it reaches a third of its height.

On the other hand, the CN Tower has been surpassed as the world's tallest. Perhaps Concord wants to take a shot at building us a new icon (yeah right).

How about something by Jean Nouvel? Outside of NYC, and Minneapolis's beautiful Guthrie Theatre, his work is not very common in N. America, and it would be quite the coup to get a signature, do-what-you-want-and-go-big-baby, Nouvel on the Toronto skyline!!

I'd have to get 42's permission (my development partner on the project), but maybe Arthur could adapt my proposed RTH condo for the Sig site... it uses a skin inspired by Arthur's original design for RTH... might look nice down there.

rthcondo.jpg

3D, I'm still hoping to see your RTH tower on the RTH site. Two of them couldn't hurt though... I mean, we're getting the whole aA catalog all over town, right?

Yeah but the RTH neighbourhood is becoming very tall and dense (could throw rocks and hit the Ritz)... so given my obvious need for attention as a designer... I think the Sig site is a marquee opportunity.

Not sure about the billing if Arthur goes for it, probably "designed by Arthur Erickson, as encouraged by Interchange 42, with craft services provided by 3D".

I'm still trying to figure out what you did with RTH in that render? It looks like you ripped out the south side and stretched the glass to make your tower... and the round concert hall is now squarish? The tower kicks ass, would have fared well in the search for New York's WTC site!

^that's how Arthur designed the RTH canopy (he even supplied the pic to me years ago)... a seamless mullion-free expanse of glass that evolves from the square podium.

The "client" applied tried and true cheapening strategies (they wanted nothing to do with the many different sizes of glass required) and the result was the angel food cake wearing a concrete beanie, sitting on a square plate (covered in leaky mullions).

When I drew the tower, I proposed that a developer would contribute to building the RTH canopy as Arthur had intended. Still one of my favourite designs ever.

Back