Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | IBI Group

W

WhistlerinToronto

For those of you who didn't see it over the weekend. It seemed as though our friends at the CN Tower tested out a new animated light from within the broadcast (bubble) section. It was on every night from Friday through Sunday. It looked pretty good, I can only assume it was a test due to the fact some of the animated sequences looked as though they where part of a larger pattern. Maybe something they will unvail for New Years eve fingers crossed.

I noticed that on Saturday night too! I asked my friends outloud about it, and they said it looked cool. I was curious as to why it was only in one section of the base and it was changing colours, I think it was green, red and purple.

Louroz

Please please please be not only just for Christmas! When will this city learn that lighting isnt't just for Christmas - it's for life.

Such a disgrace that the CN tower is lit so poorly. In fact, it is such a disgrace that the city as a whole is so poorly lit. That said, OCAD looks great at night - let it be an example of what can be done - cheap and cheerful.

i haven't seen it, but sounds pretty sexy. this will look great with the CityPlace Warm at night.

I always find that when i look at Cityplace lights, that its almost as if someone has left the lights on by accident and you are looking into their attic-somehow it seems unfinished up there.

I think the best approach would have been frosted glass, so as to diffuse the light.

----with regards to the CN, if someone notices and has a camera handy, snap a pic. or two, so we can all judge and see what you are talking about!

p5

I noticed that a few days ago as well.
I have also noticed that they have been lighting the space under the bubble each night. It has been green and blue.

Speaking of such things, anyone see the "animated" Rogers cellphone billboard on Adelaide E of Spadina? Great tribute to LED technology (and the club district as ground zero for billboard experimentation)

That billboard is right outside my studio. I stood and watched it for a minute or two the other day. I am such a coporate hore!

there is one outside Keele station as well. I see it every morning on the way to work.

from CNW Portfolio System:

CN Tower Re-enacts History in Celebration of 30th Anniversary

Giant Erickson S-64 Aircrane (formerly Sikorsky) to Hover over CN Tower

TORONTO, June 22 /CNW/ - Canadian icon… Toronto landmark… Engineering Wonder… World's Tallest… on June 26 2006, the CN Tower marks its 30 year milestone with an awe-inspiring and unprecedented visit from Erickson Air-Crane's giant S-64 helicopter (formerly Sikorsky), an exciting Celebration and Ceremony and a special admission offer.

Toronto visitors and residents will be riveted by the sight of a giant Erickson S-64 Aircrane helicopter (72' wingspan) hovering over the top of the CN Tower at 6:45 pm on Sunday June 25th 2006 for two minutes re-enacting the historical moment the Tower antenna was topped off by the helicopter over 30 years ago making it the World's Tallest Building. The Erickson S-64 will land on site at the CN Tower and can be visited during the Celebration on Monday
June 26th from 9am-6pm.

IMPORTANT: for media wishing to obtain footage nearest to the Tower, closest media vantage is south side of Bremner Blvd, near Steamwhistle Brewery. Suggested parking MTCC South Lot. Bremner Blvd will be closed to traffic from 5:45 pm to 7:00 pm to accommodate landing. Please encourage public to visit the S-64 from 9am - 6pm on Monday June 26, 2006.

"This is an important milestone for the CN Tower. 30 years unsurpassed as the Tallest Building and Free-standing Structure in the World. 30 years as anational landmark, an iconic symbol of tourism for Toronto, a critical telecommunications hub and world-class entertainment and dining destination. And 30 years as a place to create special memories." said Jack Robinson, CN Tower General Manager.

"The CN Tower is thrilled to welcome back an Erickson S-64 Aircrane and we encourage everyone to look way up at the Tower the evening of June 25th to witness history re-enacted. Without a doubt the S-64's work lifting the 44 pieces to complete the antenna is one of the most memorable moments in the history of the CN Tower. It is also an example of the innovative technologies and groundbreaking processes used to build this incredible structure, making it worthy of its designation as an engineering Wonder of the Modern World. We invite the residents of the great city of Toronto and all our visitors to come celebrate with us and enjoy the entertainment and activities planned for the afternoon of June 26th."

3 for $30 Anniversary Admission Offer

The CN Tower is extending a special 30th Anniversary offer to all
visitors to soar to the top of Canada's National Tower on June 26th 2006 only
for a special anniversary admission price of "3 for $30"*

Celebration - June 26th

Toronto residents and visitors are invited to an afternoon public celebration from 11am-2pm on June 26 2006 on the CN Tower outdoor grounds. Don't miss the rare opportunity to visit the giant Erickson S-64 helicopter from 9am-6pm. Juno award-winning Canadian rock orchestra originals -Lighthouse will take us back to the "Sunny Days" of the 70's with sets at 12noon and 1pm. Partygoers will be treated to live music on stage featuring: Drum Café, Imbayakunas, Gypsy, Northern Fist Southern Leg, plus strolling entertainers, live demonstrations from Ontario Craft Council also celebrating 30 years, and hotdog barbecue (while quantities last). A Ceremony at 12:30 pm will include the official proclamation by Toronto Mayor David Miller declaring June 26th CN Tower Day, followed by a "toast" and birthday cake, plus 3,000 loot bags and a special 30th Anniversary Prize Pack will be given away. In addition, the 2006 CN Tower Communities in Bloom Gardens will be inaugurated as part of the ceremony. Admission to the celebration on the CN Tower outdoor grounds is complimentary. Up to date event details and listings will be posted to the CN Tower website at cntower.ca.

Erickson Air-Crane Incorporated

With a head office in Central Point, Oregon and offices around the world, Erickson is the exclusive manufacturer and support facility for the Erickson S-64 Aircrane with a fleet of 19 owned and operated around the world. The S-64 (formerly Sikorsky) was the first helicopter built as a flying crane with an aft-facing pilot station allowing the pilot an unobstructed view of the load being carried and full control of the aircraft for precision operations. Since
purchasing a Sikorsky Skycrane in 1971, Erickson Air-Crane has become a world leader in helicopter heavy lift construction. In 1992 Erickson Air-Crane purchased the type certificate and manufacturing right from Sikorsky and renamed it the Erickson S-64 Aircrane. Since then, Erickson has invested in 1,350 design improvements and upgrades to its operations, to ensure the S-64 a continued integral role in a wide variety of construction and restoration applications around the world such as the construction of the CN Tower antenna and other unique applications involving extreme environments such as the Stromboli Volcano in Italy where the S-64 was used to build safety shelters on one of the world's most active volcanoes.

CN Tower

Standing tall as the defining landmark of Toronto is the CN Tower, Canada's National Tower. At 553.33 metres (1,815 ft 5in), it is the World's Tallest Building and a symbol of Canadian achievement recognized around the world. This architectural triumph is a Wonder of the Modern World and widely regarded as the iconic symbol of tourism for Toronto, Ontario and Canada.

With breathtaking views from 3 observation levels including the Glass Floor, Look Out and SkyPod, theatre, rides, arcade, shopping, the CN Tower is a must-see attraction when visiting Toronto, and an excellent example of the world-class experiences that can be found in Canada.

Oh my gosh, fantastic!

Too bad this wasn't more wildly promoted!

Toronto really should celebrate!

Louroz

I have waited patiently for 30 years for that helicopter to return. It is my Pinkerton.

Isn't it the same type of helicopter used only a few years ago to lift HVAC equipment to the top of the TD building?

www.citynews.ca/news/news_1511.aspx

CN Tower Celebrates 30 Years
Sunday June 25, 2006
Celebrating a milestone birthday for the world's tallest freestanding structure is a tall order indeed, but if any city can get it done, that city is Toronto.

That was the goal heading into Monday, as the 30th anniversary celebration kicked off early for what is inarguably Canada's best-known landmark, the CN Tower.

The glass floor, revolving level and high-speed elevators are just a few of the things that have made the massive needle unique over the years, and it's for those reasons and many, many more that millions visit the landmark each year.

"You get the beautiful view, you get to see the whole city and it puts it in more perspective," said a visitor named Nick.

But the popular spot is much more than just a Toronto, or for that matter Canadian icon - it's also a marvel of modern engineering.

When construction began in 1970, 1,500 people working 24 hours a day for 40 months were needed in order for the project to reach completion.

But it did, and now to honour that momentous accomplishment when the official birthday celebration takes place Monday, there will be a special ceremony complete with cake, music, and an announcement that June 26 will now officially be CN Tower day.

Still, just like any other day you can bet plenty of people will be on hand to check out a structure that's remained as amazing at 30 as it was the day it opened.

"Everybody wants to come see what it looks like and what it feels like to be up here," said one excited visitor.

Yes, they do.

Back