Toronto Clare R. Copeland Transformer Station | ?m | ?s | Toronto Hydro | Arcadis

Aye yae yae. This thing has been slow. Nice to hear that an end date is nigh.
Well, VERY slow progress and I just noticed in the photo above that the contractor seems to be Carillion. Were these not the people who were fired from the Union Station project due to delays and incompetence there?

This morning

nb2mvq.jpg

Yeah this isn't your typical residential construction project. There are some pretty crazy features going in here, it only makes sense that it would take a while longer than most people are accustomed to.

Taken yesterday afternoon. The end does seem (relatively) near:
2016-09-11 13.28.22.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-09-11 13.28.22.jpg
    2016-09-11 13.28.22.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,427
Forgive my ignorance but will this future station help alleviate the conditions that are causing things like the recent Cityplace blackouts? Are they adding capacity here or is this merely helping to direct power?

Forgive my ignorance but will this future station help alleviate the conditions that are causing things like the recent Cityplace blackouts? Are they adding capacity here or is this merely helping to direct power?

The issue at Cityplace was quoted as having to do with old cables:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/09/03/cityplace-buildings-again-without-power.html

The transformer station is supposed to be increasing capacity and reducing strain on the system.

AoD

The issue at Cityplace was quoted as having to do with old cables:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/09/03/cityplace-buildings-again-without-power.html

The transformer station is supposed to be increasing capacity and reducing strain on the system.

AoD
It also creates a third downtown transformer station ( the others are Esplanade/Sherbourne and Front-John). A few years ago the other two were linked by an underground tunnel - they are currently adding more cables between them - and this one is linked to Front-John. If one fails or gets overloaded the other 2 can, in theory, take over.

Taken yesterday afternoon. The end does seem (relatively) near:
View attachment 86107

From the street, it appeared nearly complete but it's clear from that picture that there's still quite a lot of work yet to be done. They have to rebuild the heritage house, there's some form work remaining, all the cladding and finishings haven't begun yet, then landscaping and plants/grass/tree planting which can only be done in the Spring.

This really is moving at a snail's pace. I guess, next Summer... maybe.

^Makes me wonder if there will be real grass in the place where I took these photos from by 2018:
2016-09-25 12.30.16.jpg
2016-09-25 12.30.20.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-09-25 12.30.16.jpg
    2016-09-25 12.30.16.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 727
  • 2016-09-25 12.30.20.jpg
    2016-09-25 12.30.20.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 673

Back