News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 615     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Toronto City Council By-Elections and Appointments 2014-2018 Term

So, at risk of grasping at straws, does this mean (given party affiliation) we actually get a vote back (outside downtown, nonetheless) in the pro-bike-and-pedestrian infrastructure camp? by trading Cho for Shan?

He'll certainly be more progressive than Cho, and maybe the most progressive member east of Victoria Park.

If Shan "disappoints" progressives, it'll be in the same quirky suburban-NDP way that leads Augimeri and Perruzza to sometimes vote with the "bad guys".

And as for Juan Lennon, the talk of "what about 2018?" is just a cover-up for how he must *really* be feeling now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tory proclaims that this by-election was a referendum on the Scarborough subway. As if there is no other issue that voters in Scarborough are concerned about.

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 12.25.47 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 12.25.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 12.25.47 AM.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 371
What about 2018 is a very good question! Neethan Shan will face a much smaller field and there could be a couple of big name candidates

Last edited by a moderator:
What about 2018 is a very good question! Neethan Shan will face a much smaller field and there could be a couple of big name candidates

"Could be". Depends on what counts as "big name candidates", though.

Oh, re Mammo as an ex-NDPer: also remember that Cho ran for the federal NDP here in 1988.

Despite the fact the subway extension doesn't even serve Ward 42, Shan ran (like just about every other serious candidate) on a "Scarborough first" platform, which means, of course, pushing for that subway.

He will vote progressively on most issues. But unlike most NDPers excited by his win, I'm not at all thrilled.

If Shan "disappoints" progressives, it'll be in the same quirky suburban-NDP way that leads Augimeri and Perruzza to sometimes vote with the "bad guys".

And as for Juan Lennon, the talk of "what about 2018?" is just a cover-up for how he must *really* be feeling now...

Well said. On broader issues like budget cuts or labour rights, he'll be a firm vote for the 'progressive' side. On BS urban/suburban divide issues he'll disappoint from time to time.

Despite the fact the subway extension doesn't even serve Ward 42, Shan ran (like just about every other serious candidate) on a "Scarborough first" platform, which means, of course, pushing for that subway.

He will vote progressively on most issues. But unlike most NDPers excited by his win, I'm not at all thrilled.

I'll be very interested to see how Shan votes on both the King St. and Bloor bike lanes pilots. I think both of those could wind up being close, to the point that his vote vs. what would've been Cho's opposition could be quite important.

Another cute thing about the byelection: Flagglandia fixture Arthur Smitherman got a grand total of 14 votes.

Back